Subject Author Posted Replies

Sanding belts
I have a workbenck belt sander and need to get some new belts. I don't use it very often, so the ones that I had came apart quite fast, so I want to buy some new ones. The belt that came apart was 10...
5
5

DIY house build
Saw this the other night: (that is the time-lapse of the whole build - there are more detailed vids) Quite a number of innovative building techniques I have not seen elsewhere - including very heavy...
30
30

Selective weedkiller idea... sane or silly?
Hi, I have a lot of broadleaved dandelions on a lawn. I have wondered about mixing glyphosate with something sticky like syrup and then using a small paint brush to paint onto the leaves of the...
9
9

What is this camera?
Mounted on a street light recently gone up in my road
4
4

Screwfix Cockup (again)
As of 18:36 on Tuesday 20th September their online chat is giving the message: "As a mark of respect, our UK stores and customer service team are currently closed – we will be open from 6AM Tues...
2
2

Tory broadcasting.
Given this Tory government would like to see the end of public service broadcasting - like Ch4 and the BBC - wonder what sort a job their favourite, GB News, would have made of covering the funeral?
9
9

The future: DC mains
I love the Tesla irony, but this is a non-starter isn't it? AC/DC? - A much needed shock to the system It is the future. It is inevitable. So why not now? There will never be a more propitious time to...
126
126

How to use armoured cable
Hi All, I needed some cable to fit some outdoor lights. I was going to use pond cable but a friend gave me some armoured cable. I need to run it through a stud wall (timber construction clad in cement...
12
12

My mind wandered.
I don't wish to be disrespectful but I switch off when the Archbishop gets going. So, I started thinking about a problem I shall have in a week or two. I plan to buy an oak worktop. Standing on end it...
20
20

Woodscrew suggestions
Gentlemen, I need to extract some old fence posts that have rotted off at ground level (as they do). Most common extraction method on YT seems to be to screw a plate with a lifting eye to the old...
19
19

Funeral
If I went in to a church at 8:30 for a service that is due to end around 12:15 I'd have to take a bottle and funnel with me.
56
56

Protective coating for garden gate.
I'm making a chicken proof garden gate. To please the grandkids the components are being painted in a wide variety of colours. All of the paint is old stuff out of the back of the shed, being various...
6
6

B&Q Selling Crap (again)
Gentlemen, I've just removed some BnQ screws from a fence. They've only been in place around 18 months, yet already the zinc coating (if that's what it even is) has broken down and the underlying...
7
7

First heating of the autumn
I tweaked the temperatures and times of my programmable thermostat a couple of months ago, turned the heating down by a degree at various times of day, and decided I don't need to heat the water twice...

Double-Insulated (or not) downlights - Ping Adam
Following on from my earlier thread about converting halogen downlights to LED, I have made *some* progress. The upstairs office had 6 of these each with a 35w 12v MR16 halogen bulb - powered by 2...
11
11