Subject Author Posted Replies

smell
I had to house-sit the other day, to await the Sky man, who was going to fix the broadband. But that's another story. The household includes an adult, who I will call Jim, who can't deal with callers...
1
1

OT - the generator saga continues
Having bid for a small Honda generator on eBay, I'm now trying to arrange a time to meet the seller as we are a long way apart but proposed routes over the next couple of weeks come very close to each...
15
15

OT Streetview and my old student digs
I lived at no 10 Looks like no 12 has stolen no 8's wheelie bin:-) Google Maps
25
25

OT Rainbow mountains China pix.
The Danxia scenic area in Gansu province, north-west China, is a landform of reddish sandstone that has been eroded to create unusual rock formations

Finding break in buried cable
Son has one of these automatic mowers to deal with his lawn that goes round 2 1/2 sides of his house. The mower mulches as it goes. When it goes. Today he was forced to get out the old Webb ride on...
40
40

Roof cleaning and copper ridge
I'll be along again in a minute with another question that my son has raised, but here is Q1. His house is in a large "garden" with huge trees, which drop all sorts of stuff onto his roofs. The north...
9
9

soldering / brazing a lamp shade
Hello, Google tells me that the metal part of a lamp shade is called the lamp carrier or gimbal. One of the metal parts of this has snapped. SWMBO has already decided this is an excuse to buy new...
18
18

carrying a saw in your car?
Hello, Hopefully just about on topic. I came to a stationary queue of traffic yesterday. It looked as though some tree branches had fallen into the road. A police car arrived but from another...
23
23

bonding double stretcher wall
I am building a low-ish (< 1 meter) garden wall basically as double stretch er bond - there are some half brick sections working around obstacles, othe r sections 9" thick and a few sections...
10
10

roots coming out of shower
An aunt went into nursing home, and asked me to fix up her house to sell. It had been vacant for nearly 6 months. In the bathroom, I found plant roots emerging from the shower drain. Shower was...
13
13

Inaccessible Mice
Our ceiling is made from concrete with battens nailed to it and plasterboard nailed to the battens. This leaves a gap of about one inch between the top of the board and the concrete. Mice seem to be...
20
20

Totally OT: Empty your bank accounts for July!
Gentlemen, A word to the wise. Greece has a TON of debt repayments coming due in July - a succession of eye watering sums falling due which are beyond the resources of the country alone to repay and...
13
13

What not to do with an angle grinder
Two police officers who were injured when they were attacked with a power tool are "doing well" in hospital.
1
1

Bathroom sink recommendations please.
The eight year old B&Q bathroom pedestal basin has a fine crack across the basin so I need to replace it. Any recommendations? Needs to be suitable for a mixer tap* and not too ornate. *Looking at...

Greedy little birds
Have been hanging a 3/4 coconut shell filled with fat from the bird table for about 2 years now. Mostly attracted starlings, and lasted a couple of weeks before it needed replacing. The starlings are...
10
10