Subject Author Posted Replies

Router bit length?
I've just got my first router, and am having a bit of a head-scratch over the length of the (one and only) bit supplied. If the shank of the bit is inserted into the collet more than a negligible...
11
11

A really hand handyman
Juggling is quite entertaining but this guy puts it to practical use. Mike Posted via email from dave6's posterous
3
3

Mains Wiring Questions
I need to extend the wiring to a relocated double wall socket. I intend to use a junction box and 2.5mm T&E cable. Is it OK to take a spur from the junction box to supply an additional socket, or is...
8
8

Combi modulating water flow?
WB combi and potential slow flow - still not got round to comprehensive diagnostics. I've just (duh!) noticed that if the upstairs shower is turned to full cold then the water fairly blasts out - so...
8
8

Renovating Victorian sash windows
Been fiddling with a large Victorian sash window which has probably not been opened for years. Got the bottom sash working now, and one weight/cord is fine, but the other is stuck. Raise the window,...
10
10

Moss Killer, again
Not so long back there was a thread on here about moss killer, and I can't find the thread now. One of the ingredients was strong detergent. After googling for strong detergent, I can't find any link...
20
20

Trailer bearings
If these are taper roller bearings (implied by the need to adjust the pre-loading), it's best to have a tad too much rather than a tad too little pre-loading. Nothing ruins a taper roller bearing...
30
30

Wiring below plaster in 1969
I have read about safe zones and 30mA RCD protection which I believe is specified in the 17th edition for cable less than 50mm from the wall surface - assuming no metal protection. My house was built...
20
20

OT: Mailing Lists
Can anyone recommend a decent free (or very cheap) mailing list hosting service for a club I belong to? About 40 members, probably no more than 2 or 3 emails a week, at peak, and next to none in the...
2
2

Lidl taps ..
Our (hot) kitchen tap has started leaking - well weeping more like - when a bath is being run. It's a 1/4 turn mixer jobbie. About 10 years old, so I suspect the ceramic valve is going. I removed the...
8
8

small fence and gate project
In message , Bill Wright writes I looked at the photos and admired the work, and was going to comment on the gate in photo 5, which looks lop sided. However, looking at the 7th photo, I see it is the...
32
32

should I give in and claim a PPI refund ?
Should I be claiming PPI ? I have been rebuffing the emails and phone calls for years. It appears that one might be entitled to interest on the money one should not have paid. I am not aware of having...
20
20

OT The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
3
3

OT Greece for sale
Everything must go. Knockdown prices. Already sold: most of Greece's airports -- for sale: gas transmission, oil refineries, power company, post office, national highways, water company. The creditors...
2
2

Heat-shaping uPVC guttering downpipe
The ongoing question of how best to connect the mini-guttering for my shed to a downpipe (without it qualifying for bodge of the century) continues. Current thinking is - since I bought one - to press...
8
8