Subject Author Posted Replies

Will a robot take your job?
Blade Runner is not on the list of jobs. Find out the likelihood that your job will become automated in the next two decades
31
31

Digital multimeter accuracy
I've got Velleman DVM 68 digital multimeter that I paid GBP 9.99 for about ten years ago in a special offer at Maplins. It's does what I've needed it for, although I've never really trusted its CAT...
22
22

Re: Yellowing Toilet Seats!
Hmm, never seen a toilet seat that's concave on the underside that *hasn't* been cheap and nasty. Let's face it, it's concave because it takes less plastic to make and when you're cheese-paring to...
6
6

Why convert from a vented expansion header tank to a pressurised unvented system?
My In-laws have an oil fired boiler that was fitted 40 years ago. This is based on a pump with two motorised 2 port valves, one for the hot water cylinder and the central heating. There were of course...
12
12

Removing ceramic tiles from paramount plasterboard walls
Would thid be any use for removing ceramic tiles from paramount plasterboard walls, or suggestions? Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Rhyas 280w Oscillating Multi Tool...
7
7

OT Austro Hungarian border
Somebody sent me this . By a Polish reporter. "Half an hour ago on the border between Italy and Austria I saw with my own eyes a great many immigrants ... With all solidarity with people in difficult...
1
1

Planter
I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours. I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with fence...
5
5

[OT] Domain Registrars
Any recommendations? I'm looking for someone better than 123-Reg. There is one caveat: 1) They MUST allow auto domain renewal against a stored credit card. 2) and ideally be better than 123 Reg (api...
21
21

Beeping from consumer unit
The other day I noticed a beeping noise, similar to the intermittent "chirp " that is emitted by dying smoke detectors. However, I've removed the batt eries from all three smoke detectors and the CO...
22
22

Thunderbird not wrapping text
About a year ago I posted the error I have where Thunderbird fails to post when you reply ... throws up error that line length greater than 79 Characters It seemed to go away for a while and has...
2
2

Victorian internal door knobs
What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular widget that goes between the knob and the door? Plate? Rose? I've seen both terms used. Perhaps plate if wooden and rose if brass? Any...
6
6

Combination lock
I have two pilot cases used by a former employee (now deceased) that I do not know the combination for. Does anyone know of a way to open them without breaking the locks? They are the common three...
20
20

Best underfloor heating system
Hi all, I am refitting a bathroom and am looking to install underfloor heating. Ide ally, I would go for water system because I can fit it myself and I have a spare zone on an existing manifold which...
6
6

Aldi Ash Vac
Aldi dont publish details of their offer items on their website, so I bought an Ash Vac, prompted by the assertion that the ash container was "fire resistant". I was hoping the thing would clear some...
6
6

connecting cables in ceiling void?
When I do a final install of ceiling lights LEDs with transformer. (just a temp hook up at the moment to test all is working) Do all connections have to be in a junction box or can I just use block...
21
21