Subject Author Posted Replies

TV Freeview picture breaking up, New 4G transmitter and Aeroplanes
Suddenly in the last month or so our Freeview television picture is suddenly breaking up. We got a visit from the 'at800' Engineer who fitted a filter in-line before our television aerial amplifier....
94
94

How many Washers to put in on top of each other?
About twenty five years ago we had the diaphragm toilet washer replaced on our Twford toilet. [ The type with the little disc at the top in the middle of the tank that you pull vertically upwards to...
2
2

best magnaclean type device?
Hello, Is there any consensus on which magnaclean-type of device is best? I had to drain the CH to remove a radiator and the water had black in it. I will flush all the radiators and add inhibitor and...
4
4

Changing PVCu window hinges
I have a narrow window that opens with a cam action to enable cleaning from the inside. It is on the ground floor so can be cleaned from the outside and blocks the view when open. I would like to...
1
1

Fitting cooker hood to wall - which plugs
External wall but approx 1" wooden battening with plasterboard attached. I'm guessing plasterboard plugs would be no good because there is not enough gap between wall and plasterboard. i.e. if I...
2
2

Cutting corrugated polycarbonate sheet
Cutting corrugated polycarbonate sheet - This is is like the old corrugated iron sheet but in polycarbonate. I have tried a mini-hacksaw, but the material vibrates badly and it does not work very...
12
12

Switching electricity supplier
Just been doing a little comparing with our current supplier, E.on, and find that GB Energy Supply could be cheaper. Usage last year was 5791KWh, which is 37% less than the previous year. I doubt we...
14
14

fitting a new pump
Hi guys My problem is that i gave bought a new water pump for our low pressure hot and cold. It is a salamander ct80. I am replacing a Watermill cheap and nasty pump we have had for about 7 years. It...
2
2

Warm or cold roof
New pitched roofs are taking form but I'm wondering whether I should ask the builders to go for warm roof rather than the planned cold roof. The original roof is traditional 70's design and I added...

Which way to get Broadband?
Hi all, Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to change supplier, but to what? I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included) The only way I can get fibre here on the...
47
47

Heating oil tank (green plastic, 2000 litres) sprang a leak yesterday
Had an emergency yesterday afternoon. I happened to be hanging the washing outside when I noticed that the heating oil tank had split for about an inch about half-way up the side. The oil wasn't...
81
81

New 13A plug
Elegant idea - but I would not trust it to handle 13A through whatever rotary mechanism they have for the pins. But if it could be a new standard, maybe BS1363-1 with a different sized fuse, only...
33
33

Painting with a Hozelock Killa spray
Anyone tried painting with one of these? I have used them to spray sheds before now, but that was preservative not paint. I have a shed which has a metal roof, under this is a layer of felt or...

OT: Theory number 582
Theory number 582: Smoking doesn't make you ill. The tax on the cigarettes makes you poor so you can't afford decent food.
12
12

TOT VW
Can someone explain to me why VW would have software that turns off the emission control and not run it all the time? Does it affect the fuel consumption or soemthing else? Non of the news I have seen...
30
30