Subject Author Posted Replies

New gas boiler for big[gish] house - recommendations?
My daughter has decided she needs to replace the existing (unreliable and ancient) gas boiler in her big Victorian semi. It's a big house on three (or even four) floors and there are around 20...
45
45

"Gorilla screws"?
Talking to somebody over the weekend, "Gorilla screws" were mentioned - basically, self-tapping masonry screws. Just drill the hole, and bang 'em in, no need for a rawlplug. 'course, I can't now find...
18
18

Plasterboard joint?
I will soon be putting a new layer of plasterboard on shower room ceiling, so a small room. There is likely to be one joint in the ceiling, will it be possible to use whatever on the joint and avoid...
16
16

angle grinder discs: use by dates
Hello, Whilst tidying the garage, I found some angle grinder discs with "use by" dates on them. They were use by 2012. Does that mean I should bin them? Why do some makes have a use by date and others...
8
8

OT. spf DNS record help
I want to set up an spf record for using this format:- "v=spf1 a ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all" my question is what address to replace x , the domain ip or the smtp server range. Thanks Allan
3
3

Sewer Question
Please see photo of sewer inspection manhole at The horizontal half pipe is running from next door on my lhs through my garden and on to next door on the rhs The two pipes running in to that are from...
13
13

Joining/Routing12V Wires
I'm going to try some under-kitchen cupboard LEDS. The supply is a 12V 1A plug-transformer. Could I could just trail some thin (but a lot thicker than that coming from the transformer) bell-wire type...
12
12

Aldi Intelligent Battery Charger
Lidl having sold one the week before last it is now Aldis turn. From Thursday 22nd £14 Works as advertised including with Sealed Lead Acid (SLA). Excellent for anyone with a mobility scooter or...
54
54

Joining wires
When I come to permanently install my extractor fan and LED panels (2). They are a temp set up at the moment as I will be re tiling and a new plasterboard ceiling. I have used a couple of reusable...
3
3

Boiler pilot light purging?
Well that took ages. It was 3C last night so I decided the garage heati= ng may soon be required for the parrots (I have it set to 5C on their th= ermostat). So I went to light the boiler's pilot...
60
60

IEC 5 volt PS
Anyone make a 5v PS built in to an IEC plug? Could have a USB outlet or flying lead. If not, why not?
24
24

HDMI protocol.
Anyone understand HDMI protocol and can explain it? Here's the problem. Want to be able to view the HD PVR on the TV in the kitchen as well as on the TV beside it. Have an HDMI splitter amp - active -...
39
39

TOT; Smoking in cars
So what happens if you are giving a lift to a 17 year old smoker? Presumably he can smoke, but you can't?
68
68

External Hard Drive Power Supply
Hi - Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help. I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg...
7
7

"Speed frame" but in plastic?
I've been asked to make a "blackout" for the window of a baby that wakes up at the first trace of morning sunlight. (They have blackout lined curtains, but they are looking for darkroom type...
18
18