12V mains adaptor

I bought a Halfords 12V/5A mains adaptor for electric coolboxes and similar 12V appliances (it's what it says on the box).

When I unpacked it and looked at the ratings plate on the unit, it says the output voltage is 13.6V. Why not 12V?

Are the extra 1.6V going to do any damage to a coolbox?

MM

Reply to
MM

Because the voltage of a "12V" lead acid battery when fully charged is

12.8V and its voltage in a car when being charged by the alternator is 13.8V. All "12V" devices for use in cars are quite happy at 13.8 V.

No, its made for that voltage. .

Reply to
Peter Parry

The correct in-vehicle charging voltage is 13.8 to 14.2v. A fully charged battery in good condition, will produce an initial terminal voltage of more than 12v. Mains power supplies for amateur radio transceivers, many of which are designed for mobile operation, are invariably 13.8v output. So no, no damage will be done, and indeed would not be until you reached at least 16v, as the coolbox will be designed with a safety margin in mind, to allow for vehicles that have an 'enthusiastic' charging system ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I've done around 6-8 repairs on various of these cool boxes. The ones I've seen all use a peltier device which is normally rated for up to 16V. One had a built-in switched mode mains supply which was 15V output (so it's more powerful running from mains than from its 12V input).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks! And to the others who replied.

MM

Reply to
MM

The 12 volts referred to for cars is only nominal - as with all batteries, etc. And 13.6 or thereabouts is the voltage you get with the engine running.

No.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)