12v IP56 Shower Downlighter

I have been asked to replace the bulb in one of these in the ceiling of a shower - the product specification is RS10165K-01

I can't find a way to remove the cover of the unit in situ - does this mean I will need to remove the whole unit from the ceiling before I can gain access?

Reply to
John Smith

Yes. The whole unit should just pull out of the ceiling

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Having now removed the unit, it seems to me that if it was installed correctly, it could have been done better. The unit simply fitted into a hole cut in the plasterboard ceiling and was held into this by two spring clips pressing down on the inner surface of the board. Hardly a sealed unit.

It would have made much more sense to have had a fitting attached to the plasterboard ceiling that the device unscrewed or unclipped from. I can't see the ceiling holding up to much more cycles of insertion and removal of this, or the surprise like a mousetrap closing on your fingers as the spring clips no longer held by the ceiling snap shut whilst you are holding it in the wrong place.

Reply to
John Smith

John Smith wibbled on Wednesday 21 October 2009 13:42

Most of them are like that.

I paint the edges of the plasterboard hole with emulsion - that seems to help stop repeated removal of the lamp from resulting in dust and hole enlargement (not sure if that's a problem - I was thinking ahead...)

I have these lamps:

thing is that bulb changes only need the "glass" bit unscrewing.

They aren't flush, which I like (less heat above) but not to everyone's taste...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim W