12v downlighters

Hello

I am looking for inspiraion on installing 12v downlighters in a tiny loo (6'by3') and bathroom (6' by 6'). The bathroom will just have a sink & shower. What does everyone think of installing 2 x 35w in the loo and 5 x 35w in the bathroom. Was thinking of not putting a light over the shower but instead installing the ceiling extractor fan there. Any thoughts please.

Thanks

Smokeyone

PS In the loo the ceiling joists are on the centreline lengthways so the downlights would have to be installed side by side in the 3 feet width.....

Reply to
Smokeyone

Put at least 1, if not 2, over the bath, especially if you have shower with a curtain otherwise you'll be showering in the dark.

My bathroom is about 6' x 8' and 6 x 35W still leave a couple of dark spots.

Reply to
Andy Kelly

In article , Smokeyone writes

It'll look like Blackpool. I have 3 x 20w in my 2m sq. bathroom and that is more than enough.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That sounds like too many for the bathroom, except your shower may be dark (but don't know whether it's in a solid alcove with opaque door or has 3 clear glass sides, which would make a difference... Have you seen the combined ceiling extractor/lights you can get from eg screwfix.com? Might be worth considering.

David

Reply to
Lobster

one of the least energy inefficient lighting methods going. The fashion will pass.

Reply to
N. Thornton

I just did 4 x 35W 12V dichroic downlights in a 7x5' shower room. Seems to be about right, in that you get even coverage of the floor. I did put one directly over the shower however (IP66 rated of course!)

Reply to
John Rumm

My titchy 7' x 6' bathroom is nicely served by six 12V 50W dichroic downlighters in addition to a 100W tungsten "globe" conventional lamp.

Frank Erskine OETKBC

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks everyone for their advice. Seems like I have got it about right but I think I will test it out first before installing properly.

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

Domestic lighting is rarely about efficiency, and never has been. If it were, we'd have used fluorescent tubes everywhere for years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Efficiency is an issue, if not the issue. We are seeing increasing use of fluorescent CFLs now, though it would be good to see a lot more in use. Fl lights were common in homes at one time, but there were problems with them, thus they were dropped. CFLs solve a lot of those problems, if not all. Once CFLs genuinely reach the same standards as filament lights I'm sure they will become widespread. They have a way to go still.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hello

I am looking for inspiraion on installing 12v downlighters in a tiny loo (6'by3') and bathroom (6' by 6'). The bathroom will just have a sink & shower. What does everyone think of installing 2 x 35w in the loo and 5 x 35w in the bathroom. Was thinking of not putting a light over the shower but instead installing the ceiling extractor fan there. Any thoughts please.

Thanks

Smokeyone

PS In the loo the ceiling joists are on the centreline lengthways so the downlights would have to be installed side by side in the 3 feet width.....

You can install one of those combined vent and LV light unit from Screwfix over the shower position. Have 6 downlighters in the bathroom in 2 rows of 3.

Reply to
Gayton

tiny

shower.

shower

thoughts

feet

one of the least energy inefficient lighting methods going. The fashion will pass.[/quote:b4960dd78b]

The main voltage downlighters are good. I think they are more efficient with not having a hot transformer giving off heat.

Reply to
Gayton

If you fit

with dimmable transformer(s), then for times when it feels a bit bright, you can set it to suit yourself. It is working well for me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You mean it's the most efficient?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The 12V systems are typically better than the mains ones. The modern switched mode PSUs that are used in place of traditional transformers are quite efficient and produce little heat. The LV bulbs also give out more visible light for a given wattage that the mains equivalent (as well as having a better colour temperature).

Reply to
John Rumm

those should be avoided. They bulbs are costly, and you typically use several, theyre shorter lived, more fragile, and lower efficiency as well.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

and you forgot the beam optics is bad because the filament is bigger.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I use fluorescent lighting exclusively and have done for years.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle