Subject Author Posted Replies

Lazy Electrical Question
Hi all, Does anyone know a ballpark figure for a person's resistance to earth if he's standing in stockinged feet in his living room? I have a high impedance ohmeter somewhere and will measure it...
52
52

which LED bulb and holder for desk lamp?
Hi, I'm making a desk lamp from pebbles and driftwood. The main motivation is in producing a useful sculpture, I don't know much about the lighting te chnicalities. I've been doing web searches for...
5
5

OT Gender pay gap.
A few home truths here.

Re kitchen sink drains
It is funny that when I offer one of the best and easiest solution every one seems to ignore it (possibly because I am from Australia and would not know anything)I did spend some time as a handy man...
2
2

Hard brick drilling
I've just moved house and there are the obvious jobs of curtain rails, coat hooks, shelves etc and so I got my old faithful standard Black & Decker drill and the 1/4" masonry bit. Got through the...
91
91

Shower panel opinions.
Having decided to go for showerpanels inside the shower enclosure or at least look at that option, The other half reckons the panels should only be the height of the shower enclosure and tiled above,...
8
8

How to connect LED tube as replacement for fluorescent.
This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits. To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of T8 led strip lights. I looked at the instructions for installing...
11
11

Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?
I looked this up, I'm asking the question at the top. The replies don't seem to be able to agree. Any sensible opinions? Something struck me: to protect people, the neutral of the supply is connected...
61
61

Well OT - Disability
How disabled do you need to be to in order to get a free bus pass? and A Paralympian athlete is told by a local authority that her prosthetic limb is not proof of her disability.
11
11

Spiralarm gas detector
I have used a spiralarm type S gas detector as a decorative light above our front door. I fitted it with 12 volt bulbs in the base and upper sections. Now one of the bulbs has failed and I have to...

Twinslot shelving - cosmetic improvements
Are there any dressing/cosmetic covers for exposed twinslot rail to make it less ugly? Obviously needs to be trimmable to length. I'd like to use it for a wide but not deep TV stand with deeper and...
20
20

Call me a Dick
All UK homes and businesses will have access to "fast broadband" by 2020, David Cameron has pledged. Every home and business in the UK will have access to "fast broadband" by the end of the decade,...
78
78

Cannabis farm in Australia - creative power distribution :)
The pic is a laugh. How not to do power distribution. "It was revealed that these criminals were not abiding by appropriate health and safety standards - a huge tangle of piggy-backed power cables was...
5
5

Tiling over a back box
I have a single gang back box on a wall I want to tile with wiring that originally went to a heater via a switch. The heater is long gone, and the wiring is now disconnected. I can get a blanking...
9
9

Kitchen sink - drains water v e r y slowly
We have a problem with the kitchen sink that will not drain. Well it will, but only v e r y slowly. Have replaced the S bend and the fitting in the sink base itself: no fix though. If we remove all...
11
11