Subject Author Posted Replies

Storage Heater 24hr Supply
OK so half dead storage heater is going to be replaced, nice though heatpumps are that ain't going to happen anytime soon. May as well try and have something that might save a bit of energy and be...
4
4

Fixing roller blind to uPVC door
I'm sure I've seen this asked and answered here here before but can't find the answer. I want to attach a roller blind to a glazed uPVC door and am uncomfortable about screwing the small metal...
9
9

Screws for plasterboard
Just to confirm these be ok: 9.5 ceiling, to use 3.5 x 32 mm screws. 12.5 walls, to use 3.5 x 38 mm screws. To stick 2 x 12 inch strips of batten to plasterboard using toolstation `sticks like`, would...
4
4

wireless freezer alarm
Can anyone recommend a wireless freezer alarm? The freezers are in a shed so I'm envisaging something with a sensor on a short wire to reach into the freezer, the gubbins (battery and transmitter) to...
1
1

Ground level & damp question
My daughter's flat has a damp problem at the back in one bedroom. I'm sure that the problem stems from the ground level being higher than the floor level at the back of the house. Here is the area...
41
41

OT Futuristic train video
I think tuis thing would come unstuck in strong winds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cv0qpylItM...
25
25

Satellite receiver box
It never rains but it pours. Having started watching TV again, the remote for the STB has died. The light on the remote shines when a button is pressed, but nothing happens. Cleaned card, rebooted box...
25
25

OT Clearly they'd never heard of crush zones in those days!
Watch a 1934 Chrysler Airflow get dropped of a cliff in an early Chrysler PR stunt to illustrate the strength of unibody construction. Video courtesy of Chrysler Group LLC. SUBSCRIBE to Road and Track...
1
1

Flow rate of new shower
The flow rate of the new shower is not fantastic considering the large amount of rewiring that was done. I measured the following flow rates at different temperates. mains water temp = 12.6 C setting...
50
50

OT: Halogen linear
Are they really that inefficient? SWIMBO wants lampstand with one of these linear halogen as an uplight and a little reading light attached. 300w - I'm putting my foot down on that. Nothing more than...
9
9

Replacement torch
I have had the same torch for many a year. Now has come the time to replace it. I need it simply to use in the the home, mainly to look into dark corners. The one I have uses 3X D sized batteries,...
86
86

Bath Waste - Centre Screw
My bath waste (fitted 1988) is retained by a central screw that passes through the perforated waste and into a central web in the plastic waste. I look at it a worry about the thread corroding and the...
7
7

Broadband problems
This is not a plea for help; more an 'I wonder what is happening?' We have the FTTC cabinet against our garden wall, and fibre broadband via Zen. The service has been excellent and continued until a...
7
7

ISP opinions please
Well, I've had a slowly dropping SRN(ratio) (from 8 to 5) for the last few weeks (months?) and decided to phone mumble-mumble this pip-emma Got through about 4 levels (or so) of press x to get ... to...
59
59

Toilet cistern doughnut leaking
I've just had to replace the innards of a close-coupled toilet cistern, which necessitated removing and 'uncoupling' it from the toilet. The actual replacement of the components went fine, however I...
5
5