Subject Author Posted Replies

Stiff petrol cap
My wife has trouble undoing the cap on her car - it is a large plastic screw thread. Any ideas on what I could lubricate the plastic thread with that will resist the petrol vapours?
9
9

Potterton Profile boiler fault
Arrived home in the early hours of this morning to a cold house. Boiler not working. Much as I would have liked to curl up in bed, I set about opening the boiler. It was stuck at the point in the...
10
10

in-screed conduit for ring main
Hi folks. I'm putting down UFH pipes this weekend which I'm doing on egg-box trays for simplicity and a few other reasons, but I'll also need to put cables in position for power points. I was thinking...

Domestic IPv6
Interested to see that Zen are offering residential customers the option of joining a trial. Accepting that IPv6 will be required eventually, is there any benefit to an ordinary residential customer,...
12
12

twinslot shelving
Hello, This morning I wanted to put up some twin slot shelving. I thought it won't take me long with my sds drill. I was very unlucky. All the holes I drilled, seemed to go into the mortar between the...
5
5

eggshell paint: does it yellow?
Hello, I am about to paint some woodwork and I would like to paint it white. I like oil-based gloss but it yellows and the water-based gloss that I have tried in the past leaves brush strokes and is...
1
1

terminating swa
Hello, A previous owner has buried some SWA to take power from the house to the garage. Whilst doing some gardening, I found a metal junction box buried in the soil. It looks like it is coated in some...
31
31

Re: Ultimate snake oil?
Well probably. I am a little leery of DIY healthcare when its based on rather strange devices. However if you believe it, the chances are that the Placebo effect will have some use in this case. I'd...

Running fan motors at over 50Hz?
Hello all, Bit of a strange one this as I'm probably missing something extremely obvious. Unfortunately, having been trained to be mechanically biased, I still have quite a bit to learn about...
24
24

Termination of shower connection
I have disconnected the shower at the isolation switch and disconnected the electric shower. The cable for the shower although dead is it ok to leave in place behind the plasterboard. I will put a...
5
5

How can I apply heat to iron-on veneer when there's no room for an iron?
It's not accessible with even a small iron. How about a hair dryer? MM
4
4

Local B&Q closing down
Apparently because the landlord wants to redevelop the site and has just got permission to do so after several months of trying. B&Q are gutted, it was one of their most profitable stores. Signs all...
33
33

Insulating a window bay
In the course of renovations a window bay that was previously panelled over has been exposed. (This was where the main incoming fuse was hidden!) The panelling is sometimes dripping with condensation,...
3
3

OT Costing the earth - EU definitions "Scientifically Illiterate"
An interesting programme on R4 yesterday, "Costing the earth" looked at several topics ahead of the upcoming climate summit. One speaker (with a reasonably laid out argument and examples) put forward...
3
3

OT The joys of gas main renewal.
Friday last, about lunchtime, a missive dropped through the letterbox which said that the gas main was being renewed, possibly from 8am that morning and that the supply would be interrupted at some...
17
17