Subject Author Posted Replies

Leaking Garage
My garage roof leaks like a sieve, it is made from asbestos/ cement corruga ted panels and leaks through several of the nail fixing holes. As the garag e is to be replaced I need a temporary cheap fix...
9
9

OT - Santa's sleigh in space on Xmas Eve
Something for the kids, if the sky is clear. I've not heard of this before The International Space Station orbits the Earth 15 times a day, but you'll only spot it occasionally, including on Christmas...
22
22

PC and monitor standby power?
A neighbour has a new-this-year UK-assembled generic Windows 7 PC, and a decade-old flat-screen non-CRT Philips monitor from Denmark. Nocturnally, these are turned off by closing Windows and by...
23
23

OT CO2 emissions due to decline
"Global emissions of carbon dioxide are likely to stall and even decline slightly this year, new data suggests. Researchers say it is the first time this has happened while the global economy has...
2
2

Lidl: angle grinder!
For those who have yet to acquire their first angle grinder, and for those who might need a spare, Lidl have them at £19.99. Other tools also available.
1
1

OT Hilarious.
Mablethorpe Airfield
6
6

Converting a bath to a walk in shower(UK)
Hi all, I live in a 1880s Housing Association purpose built ground floor one bedroom flat, with a self contained bathroom and kitchen, it is a good flat I feel lucky to have as a 70s single male. The...
19
19

Where do I get an ACCURATE humidity meter?
I've got a cheap digital humidity meter, and a cheap analog one, and an expensive dehumidifier with a humidistat. Before running the dehumidifier, the humidity was around 70-80% according to all...
71
71

Women
FFS either learn how to understand a joke or just learn how to make nice hair do. Don't try to do both at the same time. A campaign designed to get women into tech provoked a backlash online.
24
24

Mythbusters
Just watching a recorded episode of Mythbusters "Household Disasters". They wanted to make a domestic water heater explode, so they replaced the 4500w immersion element with a 5500w one! Must cost a...
11
11

OT - full circle war ships
The US are sea testing their newest destroyer USS Zumwalt In 1862 the Confederate Navy built the CSS Albermarle Gilbert Elliott might have been right all along!
3
3

Face masks question
I currently have one of those plastic masks with the charcoal filters but cant get a proper seal or my specs mist up rendering it useless, or I put on real tight and I end up with a bruise on the...
1
1

Extending ring mains
One of the sockets that I need is now hidden behind a chest of drawers, so I want to have a new one only about 1m away. My plan is to disconnect one of the two cables going into the socket (it is...
50
50

The unknown bodger.
I decided, probably foolhardily, a while back to clean out the cupboard under our stairs and put some carpet left overs in over the boards to stop draughts etc We were happily using the vacuum over...
1
1

Very off topic - Mobile phone
Mrs Pounder Esquire has a Samsung Galaxy GT S5360 mobile phone. When she turned it on today all that appeared on the screen is "Samsung". The power button needs to be held in for this to disappear,...
13
13