Subject Author Posted Replies

A drill bit that will go through metal, stone, tile and glass
Is it feasible to have one drill bit that will work with all those materials? There is a video at From 0:48 the video shows a bit being used to drill through various materials including a brake disc...
8
8

Carpet Laying Calculation
Say the floor of my living room were 18 foot longer and 12 foot narrower, it would take 16 square yards less carpet; but if it were 12 foot shorter and 12 foot wider, it would not change its area....
37
37

OT - for Fuckwits
and pamela who's obsessed by them. insurance-policy/ Chubb, a multinational insurance company, is to offer its clients in the UK the first ever "troll insurance." Chubb personal insurance policy...
1
1

Storage for kitchen carousel
Has anyone ever seen storage boxes that would fit well in a kitchen corner unit carousel? I tried searching for "triangular boxes" but found nothing. Any ideas anyone?
3
3

Query
What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug* for my CH system? Decorators arrived unexpectedly yesterday and wanted two radiators off the walls. The TRVs seemed to be...
9
9

KEF B110
Was looking at some info today on the KEF B110, and the KEF blurb says it should be front mounted on the baffle, recessed so the chassis is flush with the front of the baffle. Yet on perhaps its most...
19
19

Purpose of shower isolation switch
Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a...
16
16

OT: Global Temperatures analysis. Was: Breaking News
I thought it worth starting a new thread for this. In the Breaking News thread I said I was going to do analyses of the Global Temperatures vs. Date data, for my own satisfaction. I have no doubt that...
10
10

Recommend a wireless room stat
A friend has a room thermostat at the top of the stairs - not ideal for sampling the temp - and he is getting a bit infirm. I would like to help him fit a wireless room thermostat that he can have in...
9
9

Toroidal transformer
Need a toroidal mains 50VA 2x10v transformer for a project. Found a stock one some years ago, but can't now so may have to get one made. Any info on the best place? 2x9v does work, but the device...
38
38

Hoverboards & Segways
Must admit, the technology is awesome. Who would have thought it possible a few years ago. Another thing I find amazing - CRT Colour TV. How on earth did we get the technology so refined that we could...
35
35

Hotpoint Dryer Recall
I read about the recall for these items recently, so I went onto the Hotpoint website to find out more. I was armed with my data sheet with model and serial numbers. The website gave no information on...
8
8

What is corrosive to pipework ?
I will be boxing in an area of pipework that comes out of the pipe stack. It has PVC waste, copper pipe and also flexi plastic water pipe. I want to seal the holes around the pipework before I box it...
8
8

Monitoring Win7 Disk Retries
I've recently (in the last 6 months) had two Win7 systems where the C: drive has failed. Symptoms are, system slows down and the drive activity light seems to be on for an inordinate amount of time....
9
9

Draught excluder
I have a 900mm wide door that has a 30mm gap between bottom of door and floor. Cant seem to find any draught excluders for this. Any ideas where I could get this ? thanks Joe.
4
4