Subject Author Posted Replies

How not to D-I-Y it
An elderly friend in Michigan recently moved into an apartment block. He reports of his neighbours: "... a Russian couple who feign understanding of English when they're charged with violations. The...
8
8

What does XR mean?
I've noticed of late that a lot of cordless drills and impact drivers have XR as part of their description but I can't find a definition of what it means. Does it mean anything significant, or is it...
14
14

Torch
My trusty main torch has finally succumbed to old age, so I need a new one. Any recommendations? I assume LED is 'de rigeur' these days? It doesn't have to be compact, but it does need to be bright....
42
42

Suspending computer under desk
I want to suspend my computer under my large Ikea desk so it's out of the way and not visible. It's a mini tower case and I want to have it on its side rather than vertical as it would be if it were...
48
48

Tile trim question.
When purchasing white plastic tile trim for external corners I notice there are 6 & 9mm sizes, does this refer to the thickness of tile being used. I am using 8mm thick tiles.
2
2

one for the boiler men
I am considering using a floor standing gas boiler and coupling to an existing (ex Rayburn range cooker) lined brick flue. Assuming the flue is suitable, can combustion air be drawn through a pipe...
23
23

Local TV
> Just because you can see a mast, it doesn't necessarily follow you can > receive a signal if (as in this case) a directional tx aerial is being > used. I can see Emley Moor but I can't receive the...
3
3

OT A sane article on flooding
Instead of the drivel some people here seem to read. The only way to reduce the risk of severe floods is to manage water across entire catchment areas – and possibly build artificial lagoons
23
23

OT Britain spends more of foriegn floods than our own.
Britain has sent more cash to overseas countries recovering from flooding than it has made available at home, figures show
2
2

Jigsaw + saw guide
I need to make a number of cuts to worktops, it's at work so the finish doesn't have to be amazing but I want an edge straight enough to glue a strip on afterwards. Do folk tend to find this...
11
11

Keeping damp at bay in an unheated garage
The garage is unheated and damp, and I've noticed mildew on things. I have left the doors and windows open for a couple of days and that seems to have helped, but I'd like to do a bit better. There's...
34
34

Spur lightweight alluminium shelf brackets.
I've got some of the rather old Spur lightweight shelving system in use which I'd like to modify. It's the type that has a single 'T' slot in the support, rather than the more common twin slot type....
7
7

tap washers without holes
I need to replace all four tap washers in my bathroom. Trivial job or should be, but the taps need 5/8 washers without a central hole. (The washers fit tightly into a circular brass recess at the...
14
14

Consumer unit RCD oddity
We have a 3-years old split-load consumer unit, with a separate RCD for each half. I had to replace 3 old wall-light fittings with some new ones yesterday. I switched off the CU lighting circuit MCB,...
20
20

OT: Remember those discussions on the VW diesel "cheat"
Someone has reverse engineered one example of it, and explained what it did and how:
7
7