Subject Author Posted Replies

HNY!
Happy New Year to everyone I know and especially to my daughters. Becky is part of a MRT PO in London and Nicky is doing a night shift in an Alzheimer's Ward.
16
16

Testing a new dehumidifire
How best to test it. It is new (delivered today) Model: Ecoair DD1 simple. I have tried at various settings and it doesnt click on, however if I set to laundry mode it does operate and collects water,...
6
6

Suitable goop / filler for bodging a windowsill in an uneven opening?
Hi, I have a small window which has never had a sill as such - just a flattish plastered bottom to the opening. I now want to tidy it up a bit, so I've bo ught a length of ready-made MDF window-sill...
3
3

Tile cutting again.
In the attched image the pipe stack is well out of plumb. Watched some video clips and thinking this is the best way to go. Any suggestions welcome. From the top to the bottom of the boxed in area the...
15
15

The REAL meaning of the Haynes instructions
Do it by the book - the real meaning of Haynes instructions
6
6

Pressure cookers - a word of warning to the wise
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the safety valve (AKA "ready to serve" indicator) in the elderly pressure cooker, but failed to look closely at the new part. Today I offered to produce stock from the...
76
76

One of those annoying electrical questions
In a job interview for the vacancy of assistant electrical engineer at a newspaper printing works, you are required to calculate the parallel capacitance required to bring a lagging load up to unity...
58
58

Screwfix Website
Looking for some odd size woodscrews - pozis with the thread running all the way down - 2 1/4 x 12 in old money or 60 x 6 ; near enough anyway. Checked on my first port of call Toolstation. Their...
17
17

How not to D-I-Y it
An elderly friend in Michigan recently moved into an apartment block. He reports of his neighbours: "... a Russian couple who feign understanding of English when they're charged with violations. The...
8
8

What does XR mean?
I've noticed of late that a lot of cordless drills and impact drivers have XR as part of their description but I can't find a definition of what it means. Does it mean anything significant, or is it...
14
14

Torch
My trusty main torch has finally succumbed to old age, so I need a new one. Any recommendations? I assume LED is 'de rigeur' these days? It doesn't have to be compact, but it does need to be bright....
42
42

Suspending computer under desk
I want to suspend my computer under my large Ikea desk so it's out of the way and not visible. It's a mini tower case and I want to have it on its side rather than vertical as it would be if it were...
48
48

Tile trim question.
When purchasing white plastic tile trim for external corners I notice there are 6 & 9mm sizes, does this refer to the thickness of tile being used. I am using 8mm thick tiles.
2
2

one for the boiler men
I am considering using a floor standing gas boiler and coupling to an existing (ex Rayburn range cooker) lined brick flue. Assuming the flue is suitable, can combustion air be drawn through a pipe...
23
23

Local TV
> Just because you can see a mast, it doesn't necessarily follow you can > receive a signal if (as in this case) a directional tx aerial is being > used. I can see Emley Moor but I can't receive the...
3
3