Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Taharrush gamea
Never heard of it before? Well me neither. Look at it quick before it's taken down. Mass sexual assault in Egypt - Wikipedia
3
3

Oil burner not lighting but not locking out.
My oil fired boiler with a Reillo RDB burner, and has developed a new fault: The motor starts and quite often instead of lighting there is a sort of short brr hmmm noise which last for 2-3 secs and is...
4
4

Spice up the wife...
I have been messing about in the workshop again: (first draft, so expect typos etc) Spice rack - DIYWiki
34
34

OT: Rind on bacon
I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to get "rind on" bacon around where I live. Is this nationwide, local, and why? Butchers just say that's how it arrives to them. Or do the public no longer...
27
27

Adjust uPVC door hinge
.. and I'll start with saying I have googled and he's not my friend. I need to raise the door so that a nice carpet with underlay will fit and after a preliminary look decided I needed a nice set of...
3
3

R.E. on concrete paving slab? (2023 Update)
Why do I often see R.E. inscribed in large letters on a concrete paving slab? Yes I tried google but it's thinking I'm looking for "re-doing concrete paving".
6
6

Cheapest way to carpet a house?
End of an era, selling my late dad's house where he was from 1959. It was in need of a refurbish to prepare for the market, so it's been stripped back, painted all walls a neutral colour, fixed all...
15
15

Tungsten bulbs on the World Service.
Was listening to the car radio on the way home last night at about 1 am. When The World Service takes over from R4. And they mentioned an improvment to tungsten bulbs - some form of crystalline...
29
29

Beko Freezer door often not shutting correctly
Hi all, I have an 4 year old Beko A Class Fridge/Freezer with the fridge on the top part. I live alone so cant blame anyone else, but often after closing the freezer section door, I later find it had...
15
15

OT: Bizarre mobile phone problem
Hi All, My wife is having problems with her mobile phone where intermittently, peop le send he text messages and she doesn't get them. It does seem to be send er related as she usually gets messages...
73
73

Outside water tap
I am going to fit an outside water tap. Is it usual/good practice to have the tap and the spur off the water main isolatable inside the house?
11
11

LED 60w equivalent bulbs really are getting cheaper
I bought a 5-pack yesterday from Screwfix for £9.99. I've just replaced one of the spiral ones with one of the LED bulbs and the difference is amazing. First, it comes on instantly with maximum...
33
33

OT: silly incident
Years ago I used to drop a large number of empty aerosols on the bonfire every November the 5th, just to add a bit of excitement. It worked well for years and the explosions were tremendous. But...
10
10

Torygraph: MIT develops incandescent lamp that is more efficient than LED
"Researchers at MIT have shown that by surrounding the filament with a special crystal structure in the glass they can bounce back the energy which is usually lost in heat, while still allowing the...
25
25

Replacing drain hose on Bosch dishwasher- any thoughts or experience?
Drain hose on Bosch SMS58T12GB/93 is leaking. Kinked very close to the machine so a joiner will not do the job. I can get a new hose but can't work out how to fit it. Hose enters at the base by a...
8
8