Subject Author Posted Replies

Why can't my lappie see my printer
I had to restore my Sony Vista Laptop PCG-3D1M from its 3-DVD system backup a couple of weeks ago due to a complete crash, these crashes happen every couple of years. Now it won't detect a Dell USB...
4
4

dividing wall
In conversion work, what is now regarded as the norm for a dividing wall? Obviously one wants to insulate and reduce noise as much as possible, but without losing too much space. Also one might want...
6
6

Pop - ups on newsgroups
I've had a couple recently. The last 2 were spamming Skype products. I'm on W Live Mail as Reader and NIN as Server. Looks like the last spam-free zone has been compromised :-( Anyone else getting...
12
12

Sticky Rubberised Plastic Finish - A Cure?
Seem to be a widespread problem with rubberised plastic finishes, they often turn into a gooey mess eventually for which there seems to be no obvious solution - all the usual solvents don't touch it...
13
13

Connecting extension strip to UPS power output
I've just bought an APC BX700UI UPS and I want to connect not only the PC but also the DSL modem and the D-Link switch to the UPS. The modem and the switch each have a low-voltage trafo and both...
23
23

OT AA recovery times
Can anyone better three minutes from the end of the phone call telling them the van had broken down and the recovery truck arriving? It made last weeks wait of 15 minutes when the van last broke down...
14
14

How much for a 100g lump of Tungsten?
I need a smallish very dense weight for counter balancing something. I have a finished product price, £60. Is that barking? Can I get it supplied and machined for less?
9
9

PC power supply efficiency & running a car stereo.
I have a car radio I'd like to set up in the garage, powering 4 speakers from it. To power it I thought about a PC PSU as they have 12 volt output and can supply 10 amps. 1. I understand that they...
9
9

OT: Consensus? What consensus?
Since 1998, more than 31,000 American scientists from diverse climate-related disciplines, including more than 9,000 with Ph.D.s, have signed a public petition announcing their belief that ??there is...
5
5

Anybody fancy a diy project?
Nice sequence of photos here... http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/pictures/Inside-Humber-Forts-Flashback-pictures/pictures-28509848-detail/pictures.html#16

OT - Fibre Networking
Hi all Just wanted some clarification on the physicalities of fibre. Googling seems to bring up loads of science about refraction but not the basics. For instance, if we install an eight core fibre...
13
13

bulb fittings ES or BC
In the light of the thread about the LAP 60W equiv LED bulbs at Screwfix, a ll the BC versions were sold out so I got some ES versions. Then I realised the adapters I got off ebay are all the other...
77
77

OT Taharrush gamea
Never heard of it before? Well me neither. Look at it quick before it's taken down. Mass sexual assault in Egypt - Wikipedia
3
3

Oil burner not lighting but not locking out.
My oil fired boiler with a Reillo RDB burner, and has developed a new fault: The motor starts and quite often instead of lighting there is a sort of short brr hmmm noise which last for 2-3 secs and is...
4
4

Spice up the wife...
I have been messing about in the workshop again: (first draft, so expect typos etc) Spice rack - DIYWiki
34
34