Subject Author Posted Replies

Telephone extension - two ringing caps?
The telephone extension wiring here appears to be a bit odd. One of the extensions, with the wire buried in plaster, died recently - I suspect it got wet with the recent flooding, and we started...
23
23

Fischer Storage Heaters
Perusing my elderly mother's copy of the Daily Express, I always secretly e njoy the adverts towards the back. Most of the stuff is simply ridiculous, but some of them are clearly intended to take...
39
39

Kids never had it so good
The useless sods of today could not make one. Lesley Judd uses her famous sticky back plastic to make a Blakes7 Bracelet Lesley Judd uses her famous sticky back plastic to make a Blakes7 Bracelet
47
47

Loose ring on light pull-cord
I have two good quality pull-cords, these have clear plastic rings on the weight at the bottom to protect them knocking into anything. Over time these have become loose and keep coming off. Any ideas...
7
7

Anyone got any ideas for a blanket or duvet support?
I've had the big toenails removed and the pressure of the duvet at night causes discomfort. I could buy a blanket support cradle on Amazon for a tenner, but I'll only need one for a week, so what else...
23
23

Pouring lead
I seem to remember watching the occasional video about the re(?)building of this boat over the years, this one turned up on my youtube recommended list about pouring lead in the keel, H&S doesn't seem...
2
2

TMH maybe? Wickes push button flush loos - are they maintainable?
I have an application where it would be desirable to mount a close coupled loo that does NOT need to be fixed to the wall, but the cistern is entirely supported by the pan. Wickes have several that...
10
10

Is anti-seize paste 'just' copper grease?
Is anti-seize paste 'just' copper grease? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambersil-Copper-Anti-Seize-Paste-30303-AA-/272106009762?hash=item3f5ac834a2:g:blgAAOSwNyFWcWG-
4
4

Any idea what this bit of electronics might be for? Alerton TX-450.
I found this in the control panel of a standby generator that I purchased recently. Alerton TX-450 Rev 2. A not very good pic may be seen here: I doubt that I would ever have a use for it. I'm...
5
5

[Poss OT] Freeview in High Definition
Bought a new Samsung TV recently. It comes with 2 x Freeview tuners (DVB-T2). We use Sky, but as I already run a cable to this room when rewiring the house a couple of years ago I thought I would put...
8
8

OT: Driving electric cars in winter
A thing that has always puzzled me about electric cars is how do they cope in winter. How do you heat the car up and demist windows, I should imagine it reduces your mileage considerably if it has to...
684
684

Waterproof panels for boxing in in bathroom
I'm looking for a semi rigid waterproof panel to make a bath panel and a bit of boxing around the rear of a loo. One possible contender might be the Wickes panels: 9mm WBP core, laminated. Where water...
2
2

Not entirely DIY question...
...but you lot seem to have a bunch of experience of the old and gently decrepit. My old man's getting old. Late '70s, early stages of dementia. He lives on his own, and gets a lot of scam calls - so...
67
67

Fixing for concrete post on foundations
Hi all, Just wondering what the thoughts are with regard to fixing a concrete post on top of house foundations? Post will be shorter than others for the fence as house foundations are shallow but...
5
5

conversion of playhouse to chicken shack
Bill Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
16
16