Subject Author Posted Replies

Them engines again
That Geoff Hoon had a letter in the Times today in which he says he was advised at the time that, for the type-45s, the RR engines and the alternative Yank offering would cost the same (purchase and...
19
19

Free LED bulbs
But only if you're making multi-million profits. Daily Torygraph... British business giants including Sainsbury?s and Dixons Carphone have been handed tens of thousands of pounds of taxpayer cash to...
4
4

ot: Virgin speedup - docsis - does it cost?
Just had an email from VM saying about a signup to docsis network speedup. It's not clear if there is an extra charge for this. Anyone know? Last time they cranked up the speed it was free.
23
23

Miele door trim
I do wonder whether Miele appliances are getting lower quality. This is the third Miele appliance problem I've had shortly after the end of the 2 year warranty due to poor construction. Customer...
8
8

marking through plaster
This could be useful for DIYers that get a plasterer in (or of course if you have the magic skill yourself): I have to say - what a good idea ;-) Simon. Plasterspot: The Invention That Hits the Spot -...
10
10

Outside lights
We have four of these around the house. Two of which are now very slow to warm up and sometimes one of them never does. What's the most economic fix? Mike...
26
26

OT Gmail spam filtering
I have a lightly used gmail account which only gets about a dozen genuine emails per month. The account has normally attracted about 20 to 40 spam emails per day which Google has very efficiently...
8
8

Anonymous thermostat
During a brief visit my daughter complained that the thermostat controlling the electric underfloor heating in their *garden shed* did not come with any setting instructions and that senior management...
6
6

Hiding in plain sight
The other day when installing an extractor fan, I needed a 5" hole though the wall. The wall in question was made up from several layers of cladding and ply, but was basically a stud wall. Hence, I...
21
21

Fluorescent light mystery!
Six foot double batten unit. One tube not working for about four months. Swapped the two starters over. Same tube still not working. Replaced that tube. Replacement (in the same position) not working....
6
6

I need a small mains relay...
Has anyone found a nice small mains relay (230V coil, and 230V switching). The smaller the better (switched load is tiny - I need for the logic rather than the switching capacity). Either solder lug,...
14
14

Telephone extension - two ringing caps?
The telephone extension wiring here appears to be a bit odd. One of the extensions, with the wire buried in plaster, died recently - I suspect it got wet with the recent flooding, and we started...
23
23

Fischer Storage Heaters
Perusing my elderly mother's copy of the Daily Express, I always secretly e njoy the adverts towards the back. Most of the stuff is simply ridiculous, but some of them are clearly intended to take...
39
39

Kids never had it so good
The useless sods of today could not make one. Lesley Judd uses her famous sticky back plastic to make a Blakes7 Bracelet Lesley Judd uses her famous sticky back plastic to make a Blakes7 Bracelet
47
47

Loose ring on light pull-cord
I have two good quality pull-cords, these have clear plastic rings on the weight at the bottom to protect them knocking into anything. Over time these have become loose and keep coming off. Any ideas...
7
7