Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Mattresses
I'd have thought that getting out there and lying on them would be the best idea but they all feel comfy at first then that declines. The last two were great for the first few months or so then I find...
29
29

looking for simple plugin electricity usage meter recommendation.
Just so I can find out which appliance cooks my porridge least expensively.
61
61

Connecting a 2.5" HDD (not ssd!) to Android phone, was: Buying a USB caddy for 2.5" drive
So, the Ebay seller sent me the wrong model of the laptop I requested. This will take days or week to get it sorted. In the meantime, I need to get some data from the old HDD into my smartphone. I...
12
12

Mobile Phone Masts Locater
Once upon a time I had a link to an excellent website that could tell you the location of mobile phone masts from your postcode. I've lost it and so far can't find an equivalent, is anybody aware of...
10
10

How does USB decide charging rate? Especially if you just use a
There were some modems back in the days of USB 2, which drew about 570mA. Some motherboards were shutting the USB socket off when they did that. Grrrr. My phone takes no more than 5V 1.1A. Takes quite...
20
20

Where to buy a wire-ended RC snubber?
I urgently'ish need an R-C snubber for a fan speed controller but I don't have a 100nF 400V cap in the box and can't find a wire-ended snubber that's in-stock and doesn't have a large "handling" fee -...
2
2

Emergency lights..... Discuss
I have a downstairs lighting circuit, a 1st floor lighting circuit, a Garage lighting circuit and a Loft lighting circuit on 4 off 6A RCBOs. I also have a Smoke, Heat and CO detectors circuit on a 6A...
102
102

Wall fixings behind a flue - how?
I'm still puzzling over my flue fixing problem. Nearly all of the ready made flue brackets I can find assume that you are mounting them before the flue is installed. I need a "retrofit" bracket! :-)...
4
4

simple group post Q
Previously for years been using FireFox to read usenet, and when I read a post it greys out ... unless I mark it as unread. Now when I read post they still show as unread ..... is there a setting of...
5
5

Thermal store & Boiler Temperature
Have just had the boiler changed to a Viessmann OV 32 kW Its primaries connect direct to a thermal store, and the thermostat at the bottom 1/3rd of the store sets the temp of water within. The stat is...
1
1

smart phones
Does anybody else worry about the need to carry a smart phone in the near future to travel by train or even have a piss?......we won't need identity cards just a phone to be tracked in everything we...
84
84

Courier Woes
Here, we have always had excellent service from the local Hermes, sorry, Evri, driver. He is good, and provides service way beyond what I see others receiving. On the other hand, Yodel has been...
7
7

hello@octopus.energy enquiring about the possibility of swapping to them as an energy supplier (2023 Update)
I sent an email on the 4th Nov, to snipped-for-privacy@octopus.energy, enquiring about the possibility of swapping to them as an energy supplier. No reply was forthcoming since then. Are they normally...
19
19

Energy Tariffs
I have just had emails from British Gas confirming details of my new tariffs from this month, gas and electric payments up by about 50%. However, all previous correspondence said that I am on a fixed...
9
9

Wear and tear insurance?
Is rodent wear and tear insurable on a property? A squirrel has eaten part of a gutter, letting water in during a heavy storm. Internal decoration ruined, lounge needs repainting. Broker has advised...
18
18