Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Microsoft moves towards Linux again..
Microsoft is changing strategy. Once upon a time, it was all Microsoft or nothing. They've realised that doesn't work in business, and individual Microsoft business units are now allowed to do their...
5
5

More gloom from green energy
Tasmania’s LRET Inflicted Power Crisis: its 308 MW of Wind Power Capacity Deemed Utterly Worthless – STOP THESE THINGS
6
6

Working out profit
Not quite DIY: Not having used mark up and margin for years I am now confused as to what my profit is in % terms. example: cost price £1.89 sell price £2.89 Profit is £1.00 But should I log this as...
15
15

OT Road trip - women and toilet stops
Just for fun. A simple 175 miles drive in the morning with the gf. (J38 of M1 to J4 of M1 and then a small bit of driving on A roads) How far[1] before she says "I need a wee"? Closest guess to the...
18
18

Sticking attic ladder
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide smoothly. The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the bottom section seems to have two or three points where it...
16
16

Using One Shot drain clearer in sinks
Our kitchen sink drain is blocked and only draining slowly. I have a bottle of One Shot acid - is it Ok to use on plastic pipes and what's the best procedure? Instructions say remove as much water as...
48
48

Toslink to analogue converter.
TV has only a Toslink (optical fibre) audio output. Fairly common these days. External amp is analogue only. I've been using a fairly old universal (AES,S/PDIF and Toslink DAC which is fine - except...
3
3

Flapper valve flushers
A few years ago, a couple of Flapper valve flushing toilets were installed at my parents place. These only ever last about a year before the rubber disc starts leaking into the pan, and is found to be...
3
3

Manhole cover, what key to use?
A picture: There are two (nearly) circular key holes, but there is no "lip" under the flat (north and south) bits. i.e. there is no obvious way to insert a key and turn to make lifting it secure. (If...
12
12

Finally getting round to replacing cistern flush valve
This morning I dismantled the cistern. Everything so far has gone very well. The wing nuts underneath the cistern came loose after a few squirts of WD-40 and the screws holding the cistern to the...
13
13

A Roof Pill: Paws for thought from yesterday.
PawPad Yoga 9 PawPad Yoga 9 Have a purring pet? You are probably ready. Inside Lenovo, felines originated our latest systems - desktops and Yogas. In an unprecedented effort to make our products...
1
1

Refreshing Tanalised timber
I have an arbour in the garden which came as a kit of tanalised timber components. After several years, the thin roof timbers look as if they would benefit from more protection against decay. I don't...
8
8

Man with a van - how much to pay?
I have a storage container in the East Midlands which is 8 x 7 x 5 but not entirely full. The company do deliver the container from their storage facility, but only locally
8
8

Microbit
Anyone seen one yet? Thoughts?
1
1

OT - Anaerobic Digestion - Does it make much sense to put crops in it?
Trying to get some reliable, factual information about AD in the wider scheme of things. I am somewhat involved in opposition to larger rural AD plants on a very local basis - so we are unhappy about...
24
24