Subject Author Posted Replies

Reduction Gearing
Hi all, What's the simplest way to gear a 4,000rpm motor down to 2rpm without going in for a ready-made gearbox? (this is a DIY group, after all!) Would I be best off opting for a sequence of spur...
27
27

Machining Metal
Hi all, I've been offered quite a nice shaping machine for a very reasonable price, but I already have a Bridgeport mill. Is there anything a shaper can do that a vertical mill cannot? I can't think...
9
9

"Invisible Doors"
Part of project "extension" is a small cinema room to get "all that crap" out of the front room and to stop Sonny Jim from rattling the floors from his bedroom as it'll be accoustically isolated from...
2
2

FYI: How not to DIY
Currently on ITV but on ITV+1 at 9pm.
1
1

3 dead rats outside house
My boyfriend went to add more water to the pool and he found 3 dead rats..2 babies..1 adult in the pathway just outside door. They did not appear harmed just dead. We have no cats...IDK..WTF..Does...
11
11

New consumer units between 1350mm to 1450mm above floor level.
As a boy I unscrewed sockets and light switches because human children are inquisitive. Nowadays I'd be protected by an RCD in the Consumer Unit But not if I open up the consumer unit! New changes to...
7
7

Secret fixing removable board to wall.
Hi, I have a board which I need to secure to a wall which needs to be firm whe n fixed but easily removable, The fixings can't be seen from the front. Ideally the board would be removed at the same...
20
20

Wardrobe sliding doors, top or bottom rollers?
Hi, I am looking to convert 6x doors, 3.5M total, which are presently on hinges, to becomes sliders and without spending vaste amounts on doing the job. The door hinge system I used long ago, simply...
7
7

RCB nuisance trips
We're getting nuisance trips on our main house RCB (which only covers power and not lighting). Once it trips, you can reset it. We had about 10 in one day a few weeks ago, which I traced to the oven,...
10
10

TOT; Fiction
Reading a murder mystery/detective book last night. Bloke described as over 6ft and slightly overweight hangs himself. By his belt, from the light fitting in the bedroom...... House described as being...
9
9

Painting kitchen units?
Good morning friends, I'm wondering what is the best way to paint or otherwise refinish some kitc hen units - especially the doors. Mine are an ugly outdated colour, and I w ant to paint them white. I...
15
15

OT For wimmin drivers?
A 1950's newsreel featuring the innovative concept of a retractable fifth wheel to aid in parking.
4
4

How much grease in a Kenwood gear box.
I have been given a tub of grease to go with the new gears and box. Should I fill the gearbox up?
1
1

Dimming 'not specifically dimmable' LEDs?
Yo. A while back Mum bought a table lamp that was 'touch dimming' where repeated 'touches' to the lamp body gave you from off to 'low', 'med', full and off again. I think it suggested a 'max' 40W...
12
12

Alternatives to stair carpets
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored. I'm relectant to replace...
23
23