12 Small Windmills Put To the Test In Holland

ISTR its either 50KWh or 75Kwh.

No they don't. Motor on each wheel. Gearbox at best rudimentary.

Oh? Ive not seen any others. Teslas several years old now..

*shrug* proves nothing.

Indeed. But not at 2p a mile fuel cost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or 10 hours from a 13A socket..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£25 Billion, not 25%

about 5% of government income.

Reply to
OG

Then neither will recharge off a 13 amp overnight.

That's a drivetrain. But most just use a single motor. One on each wheel adds unsprung weight - and has the complication of getting high power to it. Apart from cost and synchronisation issues.

Meant anything between motor and wheels.

I meant the technology. The reason they're the first in this app is due to cost. And possible safety issues.

Trouble is crystal ball gazing is just that. History is provable.

The fuel cost is only low due to the lack of taxation - and the one thing you can be sure of will change if they become common.

You might as well day that running a diesel on waste cooking oil costs 0p per mile. But it's as well to compare apples with apples, not oranges.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
8<

I would have thought that a better solution was one electric motor driving some hydraulic motors on the hubs. Not sure how well regen braking would work though.

Reply to
dennis

And still are not actually..BIG problem .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hydraulic motors? you have to be kidding. Hardly efficient.

No need to synch the 4 motors..just 4 controllers. Also weight is not excessive and you lose the axle/driveshaft which is also unsprung weight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But all wheel drive is hardly necessary for most - and simply adds cost and weight?

A simple controller per motor wouldn't work anyway - you'd get horrendous tyre wear and poor traction. It would need to be a closed loop system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed - I was wondering if it was just "oil all over again" in that 40 years (or whatever) down the line we'll be tearing apart the planet to extract Lithium to satisfy travel needs rather than oil.

If it's going to last several hundred years without significant impact, great - but if not I can't help thinking we should be worrying about how to move around less rather than concentrating effort on how to move around as much as we do now using a different technology (of course 40 years with the latter might buy enough time to engineer the former, so it's not inherently a bad thing).

Reply to
Jules

Its very recyclable.

Like lead.

Well I don't know how many cars there are in the world, but each one would use about 500kg of lithium.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A couple of hundred a day? That's what? 500K a year? I admit I'm jealous!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

200 pounds a day 1,000 pounds a week (5 days a week) 50,000 pounds a year (50 weeks)

.. and crap at arithmetic. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Gosh about 200 working days a year at 200 quid is just =C2=A340k a year.

A lawyer will charge you =C2=A3210 and hour. A garage mechanic is costed out at =C2=A330 an hour - =C2=A3225 a day.

Perhaps if you had bothered to learn maths at school, you too could be=20 worth =C2=A3200 a day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were talking about the ways of getting energy into transportation, you favoured grid electricity to batterry to vehicular transport. I interjected that consideration was being given to co producing a liquid fuel and grid electricity.

I wasn't intending to get embroiled in CO2 mitigation arguments but plainly photosynthesis is the principle way CO2 is removed from the atmosphere, so using the C in plant matter as a carrier for hydrogen's energy is sort of neutral and even using coal for C gives some reduction over direct combustion.

With the current moves by the american government it may even become commercially viable but like as not it will result in chaos, similar to the rush for vehicle fuel from arable crops.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "nightjar" saying something like:

Myth? Do you seriously think we're not at, about to reach, or have passed, peak oil?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Stumbles saying something like:

GM and the EV-1 did all this. Damn shame it was withdrawn, but iirc, that was because of the end of funding from local or national government for the programme.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

Easily taken care of once the air reaches blowout pressure and a further set of sails downstream of that to harness more power. I suggest the units of power be called Greenballs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not a mathematician, then? Approx 50k a year. A decent tradesman will get

200 quid a day in London.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not quite what the Tesla does. By a factor of 10 or so.

It was costing a fortune in warranty claims. No conspiracy - just a crap design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your wish is here...

lets see if they actually do it.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)