Subject Author Posted Replies

Competance of 'engineers' - Smart Meters
I don't eat anything during the day even when not travelling. I don't drink anything for breakfast anymore and still have a piss during the day unless I am tearing around in very hot weather. I'm not...
52
52

Star Wars day
May the fourth be with you.... May the 4th be with you! I have wood turned a Death Star out of bamboo plywood. The build consists of making two segmented halves that seam together at the trench. Each...
4
4

Fixing joist hangers into stone wall
We have 150 year old stone walls built with lime mortar, I need to replace the floor joists in the loft but dont want to cut out any more stone from the walls. The old joists vary between 100 x 100 to...
2
2

Jewson trade account
I have a biggish project coming up at the end of the month, so I set up a trade account with Jewson, my local builders merchant. They've just sent me a "trade price list". Taking a random item off...
25
25

Old trick, modern take...
(sure beats a pretty patterns from a couple of sine waves!) This project was funded successfully on Kickstarter back in 2015. Watch the finished thing: https://oscilloscopemusic.com/watch.php#album...
24
24

Gas water heater
Hi All I've just moved into a house that has hot water supplied by an electric immersion heater. The small cold water tank is the top part of the hot water cylinder. When running a bath the cold tank...
20
20

Granite as pizza stone
Hi all I have read a few articles about using granite as a pizza stone. Reports seem to be that it works fine. I have a spare bit of granite worktop so thought I would give it a go. Before I do I...
13
13

Good these Water Meter Surveys - NOT!
So SE Water want to do a "survey" to fit a compulsory meter on the supply. Appointment duly made - chap turns up - I point out where the incoming supply enters the farm off the A21 - stop cock in...
7
7

OT house prices falling?
I 'spect it'll trickle down to the cheaper houses. Well, it only affects multiple house owners except in the case of negative equity. Come Brexit, we can cut down migration to those we need and house...
9
9

How much dust and sand....
I want to lay patio edging stones, the patio is a simple rectangle of 150 x 230 cm. I intend to set the edging (small block paving bricks set upright on their long edge) into concrete. Never mixed...
7
7

Anyone else hear the bang at 21:50 today?
Seems it is suggested to have been sonic boom from scambled Typhoons.
20
20

Bosch PSR 2.4V screwdriver cells?
Hi all, I've just come across my old Bosch electric screwdriver and I remember it being pretty good and torquy. It also has a neat auto locking mechanism if you prefer to use it as an ordinary...
6
6

exploding LED !
Yesterday SWMBO turned on a light switch and there was a loud bang. Today I discovered that an electrolitic capacitor in a GU10 lamp had exploded forcing the front diffuser and the LED pcb out of the...
12
12

Bi-stable electric water valves
I've found these on Ebay and have an application that they would be better for than a straight on-off valve. But has anyone used them and can anyone make head-or-tail of this electrical specification?...
5
5

solid state 3ph converters
Do these inverters cancel out any reactive current requirement on the single phase feed? AJH
7
7