Subject Author Posted Replies

Volvo V50 - opinions?
While i'm here, anyone had/got/experience of a Volve V50. I've been looking at a 2012 1.6 Diesel DrivE, up to 80mpg, free road tax. I've driven it and it was pleasant enough if a bit lacklustre (but...
24
24

Oven recommendation
I know this isn't Mumsnet but, Another oven has packed in. Current one seems to have suffered from the knobs & buttons getting too hot as the door doesn't close very tightly. And all the markings had...
9
9

Gravity fed drip irrigation for tomato plants
I'm trying to set up a home-brew drip feed irrigation kit for 6 tomato plants. I've already got a lot of suitable tubing, the T-pieces, connectors, drippers etc. The water feed is off a new 230 litre...
34
34

Any (electronic) valve freaks out there?
My Marshall JCM800 50W blue a fuse. New2 fuse holds but one of the output EL34s is glowing red hot, but the other isn't. Amp works, but hums badly. That's consistent with it drawing a lot mire current...
33
33

OP Update on the oil on the cat's head
I just let nature take its time and he is now nearly white again Photos provided by my next door but one neighbour as that is where the cat spends the day when I am at work.
25
25

Storing venerred chipboard out of doors
I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I have to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving but can't for various boring reasons store them elsewhere...
15
15

Keeping gas hob clean - foil?
SWIMBO has decided to lay aluminium (baking) foil on the gas hob to so she doesn't have to clean spills and splatter. Now whilst the kitchen is her domain and I note there are commercial products that...
23
23

Alpha Combi (HE CB 25/33)
My daughter has one - sometimes it fails with no obvious fault being displayed - just the mains indicator blinking every 5 secs. Not wanting to get too involved, but I was thinking of checking the...
8
8

Sky high Khazi's
Amusing the flying bog paper;! http://Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36232084 http://Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36232084

Australian apprentice vs dangle grinder
Seems Australian apprentices have a harder time than any working for Adam ... Owain An apprentice tradesman has recalled the painful moment he was bitten on the penis by a redback spider at a Sydney...
7
7

Freak fencing accident
This is really just to show that "you can't be too careful". It's true...I am acquainted with the unfortunate person, indirectly. Scenario (irrelevant details omitted): Rather nervous horse has to be...
16
16

OT More Bad News for Harry and the Greens
Last week, a study in the prestigious journal Nature revealed just how much CO₂ increases have greened the Earth over the past three decades.
10
10

How do the professionals do it?
For the professionals here: How do you get your quotes right? Yesterday, I decided to put some shelves in the under-stairs cupboard and generally reorganise it. I reckoned an hour and a half to knock...
12
12

Which trusted traders?
As I can no longer do a lot of D-I-Y I thought I would try them. Given is a go twice, no results. anyone had any luck with them? Doubtful here as you all do it yourselves!
3
3

Temporarily remove gas fire from wall?
I don't like to decorate around things, but we've a wall with a gas fire in; and I can either try to move it, or paint round it, and lay flooring round it - both of which I don't like to do. I'd be...
13
13