Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: bananas
All sorts of stuff showing up on Twitter now. Frick zample, there was this today, supposedly a letter to the Absurder from a Mr Bryan Smalley, presumably in reply to another: Tim Adam's comment that...
31
31

[OT] Switching mains using Chromecast?
Are there any gizmos which can be attached to the Chromecast-Audio device to switch the mains on and off? It would be nice if I could switch on the mains power to my stereo player by using my tablet...
38
38

How to fix a tap to a big barrel (but it's not a 'water butt' tap)?
I have a big barrel that collects rainwater and has a submersible pump in it to pump the water out when we want to use it. I'd like to fit a tap to the pump outlet that comes through the side of the...
12
12

Help - power consumption
Six months ago my wife and I moved from a coal heated house to a gas fired centrally heated bungalow. Having got some history now of usage patterns I've started shopping for a best deal. In the 6...
68
68

CPC Order Status & Tracking
Ordered something Tuseday, got confirmation email, not heard a peep since. Logs into CPC, clicking on any PO Number in the "Order Status & Tracking" only produces a blank "My Order Details" page. No...
9
9

Probable voltage of turntable motor rescued from music centre?
Just been dismantling an old and very dead Ferguson music centre, probably from the 70s. Nice little DC motor that powered the turntable, for which I have another use in mind. Using a bench power...
11
11

Riverside Cottage
As an antidote to the Brexit discussion I intend to beg comment on a series of queries related to an about to start extension/major refurb. of an existing timber frame chalet bungalow. Not having Tim...
34
34

Lawn spreader setting for Mo Bacter?
Just about to try this supposedly wonder moss killer for the first time so have bought an Evergreen Easyspreader+, has anyone an advice on what setting to use?
8
8

car bodging
OK so it is overdue for an MOT. Probably done 1000 miles in the year, barn stored. Couple of advisories on last years.... brake pipes slightly corroded near flex hose joint and inner side walls...
78
78

Painting/staining a deck?
There seem to be options for outdoor woodwork and options for outdoor decks but possibly not the same ones. Fence panels and posts can have nice stains (e.g. Cuprinol) or external paints. Wooden...

Always follow the instructions!
Used a kit for cleaning oven shelves - basically a large very robust plastic bag with a zip seal and a bottle of caustic solution mixed with detergent. It did work very well at cleaning the shelves....
1
1

DIY penetrating oil.
Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil? This video on making your own is pretty annoying but the test at the end is interesting if its not fixed! Jump to 4:30 for comparisons and...
4
4

OT Anyone like snakes?
http://www.wimp.com/drone-finds-rattlesnake-nest/
3
3

Research Project
I am a graduate student working on a project focused on community innovation. My research sets out to explore ?How does a young homeowner (with children under 5 years) of an independent house manage...
43
43

Disassembling a fold-down bed
Has anyone any experience with taking apart a fold-down wall bed? This was bought some years ago and unfortunately I don't now have the detailed instructions which came with it. All I really remember...
12
12