Subject Author Posted Replies

OT-ish: Smart electric/gas meters - Y/N?
Sorry if we've done this here before but I can't find anything... British Gas are asking me to have smart meters installed for my electricity and gas usage. I understand that I can decline - any...
38
38

What kind of thread could this be?
Trying to make up a puller for a steering wheel (Land Rover) so it's imperial (it really is in this instance!) Can anyone tell me which imperial thread is frequently confused for 6mm metric? To be a...
27
27

Cracked Lintel and Sill (tree damage)
It has been suggested to me that it would be possible to replace this stone lintel with steel or pre-stressed concrete for a 'reasonable sum' but I am also keen to preserve the symmetry of the...
7
7

Any Alien CCTV DVR users here?
Only two years ago or so this time. Brian
6
6

Beginners guide to network switches
Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket. Now, he...
100
100

Riverside Cottage 2
Right we have covered the windows:-) Question 2 concerns Posi-joists. Anyone have any reportable experience? I have been told they creak. For a similar load and span, I have been told they need a...
17
17

how thin can the wall of a bungalow be, yet still meet thermal requirements?
I want to build a small bungalow, and the overall floor area is very limite d so I'm wondering if there is a 4" thick walling material that meets the b uilding regs' thermal insulation requirements....
15
15

OT - disaster ahead
All I need to know if it is a Brexit vote, or the opposite. Bunkering down Dave R A VERY rare 'blue moon' event has left mystics fearing it is an omen that 'something really bad is about to happen on...
3
3

WD40 with PTFE
Very good results with slightly rusty cheap padlocks outside. Very handy to have the permanently fixed straw (how long to you manage to keep yours?) Sprayed them about a week ago, still as free as...
8
8

OT: Motorists
In message , Bill Wright writes ROFL! Love it :-)
7
7

Light relief
How a bout a joke or two as its Friday! Q.How many women with PMS/PMT does it take to change a light bulb? A. DON'T ASK BLOODY STUPID QUESTIONS. IF I HAD TO WAIT FOR A MAN TO CHANGE THE BULB I WOULD...
6
6

210mm saw blades - 3 for £10 at Lidl
I saw a pack of 3 210 mm circular saw blades in Lidl for £10 and bought them on an impulse. Possibly of interest to others? Sadly, a complete cock-up for me, as my saw, it turns out, takes 190mm...

OT Not a Vulcan - but why not
Make it fly again I saw a few happy faces at work today when that was announced http://www.vulcantothesky.org/uploads/documents/Canberra%20to%20be%20returned%20to%20flight%20 A record-breaking jet...
2
2

Aldi sliding mitre saw review
A quick review - it's still in stock at £79.99. Solidly built, all metal base, fast cutting, very clean cutting. Turntable has no position lock, but it doesn't need one due to the firm engagement of...
11
11

OT: bananas
All sorts of stuff showing up on Twitter now. Frick zample, there was this today, supposedly a letter to the Absurder from a Mr Bryan Smalley, presumably in reply to another: Tim Adam's comment that...
31
31