Subject Author Posted Replies

3 wire PC fans
I have an application where I want to control the speed of an instrument type axial fan to achieve the least noise and only turning on or speeding up the fan when the inside of a case starts warming...
18
18

OT: bad language (swearing) in this forum
Precisely the opposite actually. Orwell's views on language, the misuse of language and political language in particular were best expressed in his essay "Politics and the English Language" which was...
63
63

Plumbing nightmare
AIUI, limescale is the result of alkaline water, and is dissolved by acid.
27
27

Fallen Tree Pulls Up Entire Lawn
NT
17
17

Quick fix for a nonsensical Vaillant boiler fault
Just in case anyone is getting the same error: Odd one on a friends boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 824+ combi). Turn it on from cold, and it goes through a moment of self test before reporting fault code 76...
3
3

When you are playing with thermobaric weapons, don't breathe in.

Heavy glass shower door.
Yo, I was trying to help a mate with a shower door problem earlier. It's one of those walk in showers with a glass 'wall', hinged glass door and another bit of glass 'wall'. The problem is that the...
14
14

[ot] best usb charging cable for phone?
Hello, I am looking for a usb cable (usb A to micro usb B IIRC) to charge a Samsung phone. One came with the phone but I'd like to replace it with a longer one and I'd like a second to leave in the...
19
19

Valspar paint. Any Good?
I normally only buy Crown or Dulux but my wife fancies doing our kitchen in a colour only available from Valspar. She also likes the idea that it is "scrubbable". I realise that I can get specially...
8
8

OT: A more insightful analysis than one might have expected
https://varoufakis.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/syd-u-lecture-creditors-uninterested-in-getting-their-money-back-the-eurozone-paradox.pdf
10
10

IKEA refund for unstable drawers
Confused. I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been given fixings to fix them to the wall. After the deaths of three toddlers, Ikea has agreed to immediately stop selling...
26
26

Cheap but reliable circular saw wanted
Thank you for that. One of the things I do like about it is the balance.
21
21

Jeremy "bigot" Hunt considering running for PM.
At least it'll make all the NHS workers happy.
1
1

Some more actual DIY, another bit of furniture
Sorry to interrupt the euro babble, but I did manage to get a project that has been cluttering up the workshop for a while finished: Library chair - DIYWiki
14
14

Home Cinema - Sub woofer Cable
Just doing the speaker wires before plasterboard is fitted and had a thought about sub woofer cable. If I'm going from a 7.1 face plate to an architrave sub/speaker wall/faceplate I guess I don't need...
3
3