Subject Author Posted Replies

IT Upgrade & stuff
First off, I've nearly come to the end of my 305m drum of Cat5e and have more to run for IP cameras etc. Any particular cables to be avoided? Likewise with a rack/cabinet and patch panel to help tidy...
15
15

Rust in bathroom.
Howdy all. Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes etc. I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that is, the slight increase in salt content....
6
6

lawnmower: 41cm or 46cm
Hello, Well my repairs to my lawnmower have not been particularly long-lasting, so I am back looking for a new mower. I see that petrol mowers come in 41cm or 46cm width of cut. That doesn't seem much...
20
20

Help with pump relay logic for CH change.
Hoping someone can spot something simple. I have 2 pumps, that I never want to operate at the same time. In the link I have attached a drawing of my thoughts ? Condition 1. Programmer in Timed=OFF No...
4
4

Repair or replace old combi boiler
I've got a 15 year-old non-condensing combi boiler in a 2-bed semi, which has developed a controller fault. I can replace the PCB or replace the boiler. If it was a condensing boiler, I'd replace it....
2
2

OT - Traffic Lights
I was just reading about traffic light controllers: "Attempts are often made to place traffic signals on a coordinated system so that drivers encounter a green wave, a long string of green lights (the...
45
45

Garage roof rainwater problem.
My mum and dad's garage flat roof has a gutter at one end that runs via a drainpipe into a grid that just leads into a soakaway. Needless to say, said soakaway silted up years ago; and now, whenever...
4
4

Soil pipe deposit.
In our bathroom, the loo is against an internal wall and discharges into a near horizontal 110mm soil pipe run (2.5degree fall) about 2.5 metres long before joining the top of a vertical soil stack...
7
7

pcb repair
Hello, My son had a portable dvd player. Just a cheap one and I know some would say it will be quicker and easier to buy a new one but the headphone socket stopped working. I bought a new socket and...
20
20

The Jet Engine
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene. Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at...
34
34

OT: Eating yogurt with a teaspoon
Anyone other than Bod eat yogurt with a kids' spoon?
14
14

Riser
Perfectly normal behaviour for water. If it starts going up, I'd say that something was amiss. HTH YVW
31
31

DIY computer psu chair
2.72343A According to my calculations... A blue one.
6
6

200 quid for chips?
If I want fish and chips, I generally don't want a bit of nasty end of beef mixed in, thanks. YMMV. I do find *all* chips from fish and chip shops simply awful. I want crispy and brown. They do pale...
56
56

G9 LED lamps
We need six or so G9 LED lamps. There are loads available (e.g. on Amazon) but mostly with few and/or mixed reviews. Ideally, they be 5 to 7 watts, I'd like them to be about 4-5000 K - so cool rather...
18
18