Subject Author Posted Replies

Remember that "free" lawnmower?
Daughter number two has decided that she doesn't like it. Too heavy, too awkward to get in and out of her shed, uses a fuel that she has to go out and buy, doesn't pick up grass well enough etc, etc....
10
10

Long handle tree loppers
Just broke mine - still, they've done sterling service & didn't cost me anything. So ... recommendations for replacement. Anvil? Bypass? Ratchet? Can't say as I care about telescopic - I always used...
23
23

OT Energy comparison sites
I checked yesterday if I could get a better deal for gas/electricity inputting my actual consumption for the previous 12 months as the reference. Uswitch said a saving of £130 but on checking the...
5
5

Replace NiCad with NiMH cells Makita
I am just wondering if there might be any gotyas... Long ago I bought a Makita drill kit with 3x 18v 1.3Ah NiCad battery packs and its charger. The charger is marked 7.2 to 18v, NiCad or NiMh. two of...
20
20

Lead acid battery charge indicator
See those green charge indicators on some car batteries? Do they not work or is mine faulty? Or can you break it by flattening the battery? It came charged and was green. I flattened it by mistake and...
8
8

11hp garden chipper auto clutch?
Hi all, Would anyone who has used a petrol powered tool like a big garden chipper believe the automatic (centrifugal/(petal?)) clutch to only engage once you were a (fair?) bit above tickover? I've...
16
16

OT: notes from a grandad
James (5) loudly and in a public place: "...so my mam telled my dad he could shove it up his arse!" Ben (6) "Mummy, who in our family was a monkey?" This morning I found Oscar and Jake (8 and 4...
7
7

PTFE pipe repair
Son (despair, despair) has put a fork through an underground water pipe. He says the fountain was spectacular. I remember the pipe in question - it is black and looks like ptfe, and will have been...
10
10

OT: Flipper
Anyone use Flipper? For those who don't know, it attempts to get you the very best energy deals - and does all the changing of suppliers etc too. For a yearly fee of 25 quid. It doesn't take any...
7
7

Super-bright LEDs in public places?
On a recent trip back to the UK I noticed - whilst travelling mostly by rail - that at the landings of flights of steps at very many stations now there are overhead panels of super-bright blue LEDs...
56
56

Bad kettling
An old boiler (30 years or so) has been kettling increasingly over time, an d is now doing so badly. It now kettles strongly while the flame is on, rat her than when the pump stops. Previously it has...
13
13

Building a mini home data center (cupboard)
I?m looking to build a small outside cupboard (data center) to store a couple of servers in. The server and electrical side of things I?m fine with. I?m just looking for some tips on the structure its...
54
54

LED downlighter with a mind of its own
I installed LED downlighters in the kitchen 12 months or so ago and all has been fine until recently when one of them occasionally turns itself off after a while and then back on a few minutes later....
7
7

Should I replace my entire washing machine drum?
Hello all, well, here's a dilemma... The plastic drum outer body on our washing machine - a 16-year old Hotpoint WD62 washer-dryer - scracked the other day. Not sure why, but it went bang and started...
44
44

How to specify a colour to a printing company
I'm about to get a thousand or so membership cards printed by a commercial print shop and want to be able to specify the background colour to be used. Just emailing a sample template with the colour I...
46
46