Subject Author Posted Replies

Where would we be without rules?
Call from a customer who wanted some CD racks assembled. They were made in France. She'd read the instructions and was concerned that the 'fischers' were missing. Quick read of the badly translated...
4
4

They're coming for you Mr Pounder
Freedom of speech is being attacked: London's Metropolitan Police is spending £1.7million setting up a squad to monitor social media for abusive behaviour and track down the trolls responsible.
12
12

Yale deadlocking nigh tlatch
Toolstation want £26.52 for a Yale 89 deadlocking nightlatch in brass finish (their code is 18514). I've found this on ebay: or code 252308733540 Can anyone confirm my suspicions that although the...
1
1

Cutting a new window hole in a 4" thick conrete block wall - tool recommendations?
Hi again, I want to cut a hole for a new window in my house. It's got fairly standard cavity walls, built of concrete blocks. Actually the blocks are somewhat n on-standard as they have foam...
17
17

OT: Cost of wind power
The Hornsea 2 offshore wind farm will apparently generate income: "The Hornsea 1 project was given a contract in 2014 guaranteeing it a price of £140 for every megawatt-hour of power it generates for...

Farms (OT)
A recent local case of a "farmer" keeing some horses in a shipping container for 22 hours a day - and other abuse. Made me think about some farms I have seen. Some resemble scrapyards. Any animals are...
17
17

Radiator paint....
...or just a good gloss paint. ISTR radiator paint that I used many years ago yellowed quickly.
8
8

OT: And ... they're off
Combine has pitched up, hooked up his lawnmower bit, and is off in a cloud of dust mowing the hell out of the wheat field opposite.
20
20

Okay to use lightweight thermalite blocks for bricking up a window (cavity wall)
Good day firends, Is it okay to use those grey, lightweight Thermalite Aircrete blocks for br icking up a window in a cavity wall? The outside of the wall will be render ed with sand & portland cement...
4
4

Tea and Sand
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach. Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And...
17
17

Earthing neutral and frequency of 40 Kw generator.
I'm amazed a normal tungsten filament bulb reacts quickly enough. Florries would, though.
42
42

X-Post - Suitable phone for long term travel to Africa/India
A friend may be off in a few months to two separate locations (work related) and is likely to be spending around 3 months in each location. Requirements are: (1) Smart phone (2) Work in Africa (Ghana)...
12
12

Big doors, roller versus sliding?
Probably looking at having to replace a industrial unit/barn sized door. Building is of an age where sliding door would be in keeping. Roller shutter doors seem to be standard fit now but having...
13
13

Drive by wire.
Can one of our teccies explain how this is achieved in practice? My last car had a throttle cable - although newer versions of the same model went over to drive by wire. So it has been around for a...
30
30

Central heating wiring question
My mum and Dad's boiler wants to stay on all the time. I thought the best thing to do, besides just switching it off for now, would be to try and work out how it's all wired together, and then work...
55
55