Subject Author Posted Replies

Treating Wood in Garden
I have various wooden items in my garden: raised beds, supports for runner beans, netting frames etc. The wood I have used was all treated (tanalised?). What treatment would people suggest for not...
17
17

New RCD 100 Amp 100mA after my isolator switch?
I'm thinking of installing a Wylex 2 pole RCD 100 Amp 100mA in a box like on the TLC page linked below. Just after the main incoming electricity company fuses, meter and isolator switch, but before...
12
12

OT.....PBS America.
Fairly new TV channel. Good documentaries. Quite a lot of repeats.
17
17

White gloss recommendations
Would anyone care to recommend a gloss, primarily for pre- primed MDF skirting although it would be also used for a couple of doors if there is any over. Minimal work and maximum shine [white] is the...
4
4

100 amp connector block name
whats the name of the connector block for incoming 100 amp mains supply to split between old and new consumer unit... been looking at cpc and rs and tlc but i dont know what to put in the search box!...
13
13

Tape for use in a freezer
Having defrosted the freezer I have found that a number of the plastic trays have developed cracks in them. Of course it is not my wife's fault even though she is the one who uses it most frequently....
14
14

Outdoor decorative lighting, connections and weatherproofing.
Hi all, Just an observational type question ATM .. but when watering my mates plants whilst he was away recently I noticed an 'end' to a cable on what I think could be 240V - outdoor lights just...
7
7

Sewer maps
Next door's sewer has just been cleared out (I'd looked in the manhole and it was full). The chap from Anglian Water said that the sewers didn't go the obvious way but had angles and went an indirect...
3
3

Flat eneloops
My garage door proximity sensor is still going through AAs at a surprising rate, so I'm putting Eneloops in for the moment. I changed a pair today (after 3 months or so), as the main controller was...
3
3

Ryobi cordless drill
The Li-ion batteries or charger for my Hitachi cordless combi drill have started playing up, so I have started looking for replacements and came across this Ryobi at Homebase: The price isn't out of...
6
6

SOT: Where do they get these people?
The local council have just started charging for certain types of recycling material. The leaflet provided states it must be in a bag no larger than 50cm x 77cm. That's not a bag, it's a rectangle!...
61
61

Improving shower performance
In my main home I have two power showers - one in the bathroom and one in the en-suite - both of which are gravity fed with low pressure stored hot and cold water, and boost the pressure with a pump....
15
15

Tile to worktop joint: silicone over old, cracked grout (plaster)?
7 years ago, I used grout (or plaster?) for all the joints in my newly tiled kitchen, including the 2 or 3mm joint between the lowest tiles and the worktop (not clever, I now realise that). Over the...
1
1

Burlington WC Cistern
Finally threw out the didn't-flush-properly toilet and replaced it with a B urlington Close Coupled WC. This has the most complicated internals of any WC I've ever seen, not that I've seen many, and...
4
4

TV in kitchen - regs?
I've searched around for the answer to this but haven't found it as yet: is there any regulation concerning placing a small wall-mounted 12V TV set in a kitchen? I have a blank area above a draining...
73
73