Subject Author Posted Replies

Weird gas consumption OVO SM
On a Smart Gas meter and able to look on line at the consumption for year, month, week and individual days... We are away from home this week, boiler is off, we have no pilot lights so their should be...
17
17

Wanted - mini acrow prop (or two)
I'm after something like an Acrow prop but with a length in the range of, say, 10 to 30cm. Is there such a thing? A scissor jack or a small hydraulic jack might work but they both have disadvantages:-...
14
14

max span 2.5" timber?
Have an amount of 2.5" x 2.5" softwood timber aquired with new premises. Building an internal shed for a couple of noisy machines, would like to use top of `shed ` as storage, take weigt of couple of...
13
13

Dimmable GU10 LEDs
Wanted some of these in WW for display lighting. But dimming was a must. TLC seemed to want 7.50 plus for 5 watt types. Sheds even more. ASDA had them for a fiver. Used a Wicks (BG) dimmer changed to...

Spray for keeping tools un-rusty
Is WD40 actually the right thing for this? I.e. a spray for tools that live in non-ideal conditions? Most of my tools get used enough that they don't get rusty but there are some of the rarely used...
19
19

Source for good, small, stainless woodscrews (like TurboUltra)
I have some old[ish] Screwfix TurbuUltra packs which came with small sizes such as 3 x 12 and 3.5 x 16. I find 3.5 x 16 particularly useful and I'm running out of them. While I can find other screws...
3
3

[OT] Windows 10 problem
Not sure how best to describe what has gone wrong, and I certainly don't know why! Normally, when looking at This PC, which used to be My Computer, the screen is divided, with a tree on the left and...
12
12

Initial settings for Lidl PIR spotlight
I got a few Lidl PIR spotlights to replace some broken ones. They will be placed high up and someone with long ladders will help fit them. This means we have to guess the adjustment settings and may...
20
20

What these called - stereo eaphone socket to FM transmit 12v
I'm looking to improve the stereo audio sound from the TV in my caravan. TV has a stereo earphone socket, the car type radio lacks any external audio input, so I would need to tune into an FM signal....
17
17

Which is cheaper?
Smash my windscreen and get a free one from Autoglass or spend 2 hours with a drill pad and Cerium Oxide?
38
38

Bleach and caustic.
How much caustic soda can you dissolve in hot water? I wish to use it on my sink occasionally and don't want a chunk of sediment building up in there. The other thing I wish to know is how much water...
19
19

OT: It couldnt happen to a nicer newspaper..
"Since you're here ... ... we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever. But far fewer are paying for it. And advertising revenues are falling fast. So you can see why...
79
79

OT Ping Chris Hogg - Wildflowers
Earlier this year I put a box of these seeds down in my front garden. Top row, Country Garden. The results were quite spectacular, for a change. The lady next door tells me that they are wildflowers...
39
39

Broken sensor in Boots bathroom scales.
This isn't a weight sensor, its the acoustic sensor that turns the thing on when you tap it. One thundering tap too many has sheared its wire (what a crap design). Does anyone know what it is and...
14
14

help before bedtime-the bath is vibrating
My bath is making a distinct hum. I have switched the mains water off, open ed and closed the taps, sink,bath,kitchen and outside and still the bath is humming. I can feel it vibrate. The last few...
5
5