10Kw gas hob

One of the things we bought from Ikea :-)

Burners are:

4kw 3kw 2kw * 2 1 kw

So in theory the maximium demand for the hob 15 minutes before a dinner party and everything running late is 10Kw. Is this likely to have a major impact on the size of the gas supply pipe and will it suck gas backwards through the combi :-)

Seriously, will a 15mm supply be O.K.?

Looks like we will be running a seperate new feed to the combi.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

And another 2kW of extractor fan trying to keep the kitchen temperature below 50C. B-)

How long is a piece of string? Depends on the length of run from the meter and the number and type of any bends. What do the installation instructions say?

If that is a big combi together with the hob going flat out you may start running out of gas. ie the maximum flow through the meter might not be suffcient. I don't know if there is any diversity allowed for gas like there is for electricty. You need to find some one who knows how to properly size gas supply pipwork and understand meter capacity etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

4+3+2+2+1 = 12 ...
Reply to
Phil

No, but you will need to make sure the pipework is sized correctly.

Depends on the (effective) length...

Perhaps.

Do the sums, then you will know.

BS 6891 page 34 has a fully worked example and all the tables you need (if you have a Elan library card you can probably download it from your local library's web site), if not then doa web search for the copper development association sizing guide (same info - repackaged), or drop me an email and I can tell you where to find a copy of the BS.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - just to note that the seperate feed is not anything to do with pipe sizing but to do with the proposed new boiler location. Plan is to use the existing gas pipework (under suspended ground floor feeds a gas fire in the lounge which will be removed and the current boiler in the kitchen) to feed the new hob in the new kitchen. A new supply will be run down the outside of the house and in under the first floor to the airing cupboard where the new combi will be situated. [Today's plan - may yet change again.]

Looking at BTU/kW conversions I read that to convert kW to BTU you multiple by 3414. That makes a 10kW stove at full chat equivalent to a 34140 BTU boiler if I have got the numbers right. Looking at the sticker inside out Stelrad Ideal W2000 R60 I see that it pulls 23.4 kW (80,000 BTU) max so the current pipework should handle the gas hob on its own.

So the only issue would be the total capacity of the meter - heating engineer to check :-)

Original post was fairly lighthearted - prompted by the fact that the hob was a lot bigger than average and had caused me to wonder if this would have an impact.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

A domestic U6 meter should do 6m^3 / hour or 64kW / 220 kBTUs

Compared to a boiler its at the smaller end of what you could buy. So swapping one for the other should be fine assuming the original installation was to spec.

The time that big hobs etc may pose a problem is when attempting to build a dribble style system with two combis and spare multipoint water heater for the outside loo.

Reply to
John Rumm