Subject Author Posted Replies

Zinc guttering for summerhouse
I would like to install zinc guttering for the summerhouse in the garden. Where can I buy zinc guttering for small buildings?
3
3

Another Glue Q
I have 2 plastics I need to glue together ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets. The fitting is a close fit. Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about...
10
10

DC mains (was: Are 3A plug fuses really necessary?)
If direct current electricity supply continued into the 1950s in some areas, I wonder what the practicalities were. Appliances such as heaters, cookers, kettles and lighting would presumably run on...
63
63

Calor gas fire not working properly
Hiya I was wondering if anybody could help me, I have a calor gas fire and I've just bought a new gas bottle and it's the 1st time it's been used in over a year, the pilot light is lit and it's is...
5
5

Shower screen, folding - choosing and fitting
I need to fit a folding shower screen to one end of my bath. I want to get a good quality one that won't leak. In particular I'd like some kind of fit ting on the bottom that isn't a cheap piece of...

Diving board erected on sewer?
This is odd. I looked up the company and it's waste water they deal with. But what on earth is that tower he's stood on? That isn't normally there. It looks like a diving board from a swimming pool....
6
6

Riverside cottage 10 (ping Tim W)
I am trying to plan the dormer and loft voids insulation. Is there a practical thickness of PIR foam beyond which savings are insignificant? Sadly the carpenters have fitted some of the side cheek...
11
11

2-part wireless thermostat ?
Due to some brain dead design back in the 1960s, our thermostat (plus associated physical cabling) is in the worst possible position to actually monitor what the household temperature is. So in...
7
7

stuff diy
wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a good source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g...
29
29

LED Pygmy Lamp
Can anyone point me at a source for LED Pygmy Lamps in the UK, preferably mail-order. What I specifically need is a BC/B22 ("Proper") base, and no bigger than the traditional Pygmy outline, because it...
19
19

Bandsaw tyre failure issue
I have a Record Power SBS250 bandsaw ... I don't use it much, once maybe twice a year for around 30 minutes ... but every year (or so it seems) when I do want to use it - the rubber tyres on the...
19
19

What to do with mail when abroad?
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if...
21
21

Tools and equipment trials?
Slightly OT for DIY but maybe someone here will know. Does anyone know about standardized tests for tools that allow tools to be directly compared? E.g. is there a standard concrete formulation for...
3
3

TV radio and internet advertising......
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv and radio down when ads come on and use ad...
37
37

Ping TNP: Andrew Neil and Gridwatch
Andrew Neil quoting wind contribution data from Gridwatch on Twitter. Led to him quoting present cost of coal: 'Looks like we're paying £1,000/MWh for coal'. Others asking if he's sure. Says he's...
2
2