Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: things that scared Bella the dog today
1. The sound the mains testing plug makes when the socket is OK 2. Me conducting the Band of the Grenadier Guards 3. The Greenwich Time Signal 4. The black chicken 5. A phone ringing on Emmerdale Bill
12
12

strange screw
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that I've never seen before. The screw is a straight cylinder, with...
15
15

Lever action toilets
Having experienced a moderm push button toilet which she cannot operate as she has fingernails, she insists on fitting only lever operated toilets in a bathroom refurb. These things seem to be as...
10
10

A Public Liability (pictures)
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened. The...
38
38

Sealing a boat hatch
On our boat Odin there's a hatch on the bathing platform which currently lets water in (to the inside of the bathing platform). This isn't disastrous in any way because the bathing platform was added...
8
8

McAlpine V33WM twin drain connector - what's inside?
I have a rather strange possible use for this (connecting two bilge pumps to a single outlet on a boat) and thus need to know a *little* bit about what's inside it. In the description at it says 'an...
1
1

Riverside cottage 11
Builders seem to have a jaundiced view of installing cavity closers. Possibly because it impacts on their profit margin and comes towards the end of the job. Building regs. are clear enough so is this...
1
1

Polycarbonate glue?
Food processor plastic bowl seems to be polycarbonate and took a sufficiently hard thump on the hard kitchen floor to put a vertical 4cm crack in the outer case near to the handle. It will doubtless...
23
23

RCD wins again
Just found this (1st job of the day) It was powering a 2kW heater in the conservatory. File:RCD1.jpg - DIYWiki
123
123

Pipe soldering Questions
I'm not going to do these myself, it's for people learning how to. What size pipe can a standard blowtorch do? What size can a mini torch do? What do you do with joints that fail to seal first time?...
56
56

Heating oil (kerosene) lubrication
Talking to a guy who repairs oil fired domestic boilers, and he was saying that the formulation of domestic heating oil has changed (less sulphur?), which means less lubrication of moving parts. He...
12
12

Electric wiring question
I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door to the other. I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this way: Cable 1: Brown - common Live Blue -...
13
13

Spare blades for Parkside multi tool
Anyone know what other brands of blades will fit the Parkside multitool. Or where I can get blades for the Parkside, I dont want to buy a pack of different blades but just one specific one.
10
10

OT: Engine Firing Order etc.
Given a four cylinder car engine, one assumes there will be four equally- spaced ignitions every 90' of crankshaft rotation. Does the same apply for *all* engines in terms of the number of their...
51
51

For Nick and the other climate nuts.
When they do this sort of thing how can you believe what they say? An 'inconvenient result' – July 2012 not a record breaker according to data from the new NOAA/NCDC U.S. Climate Reference Network |...
7
7