Subject Author Posted Replies

Trenching for domestic services.
What do the electricity, gas and water companies require by way of trench depth, separation of ducts, marking etc. for extending and moving services to a fresh location? I have found on-line suppliers...
14
14

Moulded 6 panel doors
I am thinking to replace a number of (6) internal doors with a molded 6 panel type. Will there likely be a restriction on where the door handles have to be fitted and the hinges? I could move the...
5
5

Under counter hot water heater
Help! Local charity had one of these installed by well meaning cowboys. Just been to take a look. It has plastic screw threaded fittings on the top in blue and red for water in and out. The guy who...
22
22

Flickering power switch
Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering red and there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the socket that needs replacing
10
10

dodgy dog - what to do
A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog. It seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can...
23
23

Drilling down internal wall from loft
I'm attempting to feed some low voltage cabling down an internal wall, I've managed to get a some 22mm holes in the cavity but I'm unable to see any n oggins clearly. It looks like it could be plaster...
4
4

Light fitting to batten
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the plasterboard ceiling.
16
16

Which make of MCB is physically compatible with ROLEC?
I want to add a 16A MCB to a rail that already has a ROLEC-branded RCD on it - are MK, Wylex, Hager, or xxx physically the same as ROLEC?
4
4

Trailer socket - correct wiring test
Just a quick question. With modern 13 pin connectors there is a pin for providing power to a caravan fridge. Pin 10, ignition controlled. As far as I can tell this is not supported by the standard...
17
17

Plasterboard fixings- The good, the bad and the useless!
Found the following vid of interest, Plasterboard fixings- The good, the bad and the useless! Great title. "The video includes- plasplugs hollow wall anchors, Plasplugs heavy duty plasterboard hollow...
7
7

Here's a conundrum..
Insulation between joists below under floor heating. Having promised no wall hung radiators I am now stuck with getting the job done! Ground floor no real problems: grooved insulated sheet to take the...
15
15

OT: Foxes WTF?
Anyone know whether it is SOP for a pair of foxes to lope across an open field (behind us) towards our back fence (15 cm mesh) and for one to pass through the fence with the other close behind? This...
23
23

Thin bleach
I use a fair amount of bleach for general cleaning and disinfecting jobs: cleaning the sink, pouring down sink traps and drains occasionally etc. I use "thin bleach" for this, as I don't need or want...
13
13

OT: Car Rotisseries
To be able to work on the underside of a car unimpeded and not having to do things like welding upside down has a strong appeal. But what are the limitations of these increasingly popular rotisseries?...
11
11

Question for those with electrical leanings
I hacked about a section on the cable sizing article: To include the changes in permitted ELI introduced by the 3rd amendment to the wiring regs. Is it worth keeping the original table, and the...
10
10