Subject Author Posted Replies

Flap Wheel grit size
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use? This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder. I also got the...
20
20

How to break stuff
MY NEW CHANNEL - https://youtu.be/2K0Y_qSydJg Subscribe to Aredrine !!! ------------------------------ Music: Tobu & Itro - Sunburst [NCS Release] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lXBHD5C8do Follow...
16
16

One for the chemists
The condensate from a gas boiler contains nitric acid and has a pH of between 2.9 and 4.0 It's been dripping onto the ground from a bit of a height and has been splashing up slightly onto one of the...
30
30

OT Intelligence test
The Smart or Stoopid Quiz, by flashbynight.com, a simple and fun IQ test
5
5

mitre saw
I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed, he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or...
13
13

LED life.
About a couple of years ago I made up some edge lighting for a meter in a pal's small recording studio. To replace the tiny 24v tungsten which were forever blowing. Used 9 diffused 5mm white LEDs - 3...
22
22

World Nuclear Assoc: Nuclear power in the UK - a very interesting read
Interesting article, updated this month. Lengthy, but well worth a read for anyone interested. Despite the title, has a summary of power generation/availability in the UK, not just nuclear. Goes on to...
58
58

OT: a small but insistent voice says I must go out and kill
Hil says the gravelled area where the vehicles are parked is a disgrace. I am instructed that I must find a remedy. Does anyone know of something I can spray on that will kill moss, grass, weeds, the...
50
50

How many uk.d-i-y members does it take to change a lightbulb?
How many uk.d-i-y members does it take to change a lightbulb? 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed. 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and...
85
85

Cable storage
Like most computer geeky types, I have accumulated a large number of cables over the years - HDMI, PCI, ethernet, USB, WHY. Storing them all without tangling is a PITA. I have all the ethernet patch...
39
39

Fun with a shower pump
My brother-in-law gave me a non-working shower pump to play with. Being an electrical engineer I naturally started by checking all the electrical par ts and could find no problems. It was interesting...
5
5

"Properizing" brand-new stuff ? (Electric Wheelchair)
(there is a request for advice at the end !) Just wondering what brand-new things people have had to fix before serious use ... With SWMBO suffering more from leg spasms, the manual chair is a bit...
6
6

Umbrellas
I understand that the latest thing this year is hi tech umbrellas with carbon fibre spokes and very clever material that cannot get punctured or turn inside out. It also has a blue tooth device to...
10
10

HW problem, weird
Lots of hot comes out the sink taps, but the shower is stone cold. The HW pipe feeding the shower goes from lukewarm to cold-water-incomer-cold as the shower runs. It worked fine before, and they're...
5
5

What is this model/machine
This came from a large metal engineering workshop back in the 70s but may be older. I suspect it was part of an apprentices training to make a working model from scratch. Any ideas? Image: Video:
35
35