Subject Author Posted Replies

Milling drill bit?
I need to drill out a 10mm diameter hole to a depth of 3mm in a piece of brass. I want a `flat` hole not conical as a normal drill bit would give me . I am looking for something like the fostner drill...
30
30

More green lies.
A carbon capture plant that takes CO2 from the coal fired plant and makes baking powder. So what do they do with the baking powder.. they bake with it releasing the CO2. Yet this is green and reduces...
57
57

Re-certification of Fire, Pub and MIG welding cylinders
Recently the past simple procedure of having MIG welding cylinders refilled has become almost impossible for older cylinders. Does anyone know of any companies who can inspect and recertify for a...

Bugger
Before Xmas the plug in shower pump electronic count down timer stopped counting down. As it was 15 or so years old, I ordered a new one which turned up today. In a moment of folly, I unplugged the...
1
1

[OT] Xmas artificial snow from the 40s
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme (probably still on iPlayer, forget the title). 1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of fake snow to...
14
14

OT Advert on the box
Some sort of plug-in smelly device that drugs your dog/cat? How does this work? What effect has it on humans? Is anyone buying such a thing totally mad?
27
27

fitting pigs ear handrail
how to fit 4 mtr length of pigs ear handrail to a solid wall with a plaster coat advice on size and length of screws, size colour of rawl plugs to use and size of hole for rawl plugs. thank you.
8
8

Heating system cover
I've just cancelled my heating system cover from Corgi Homeplan as they have increased the premium by 21% and removed replacement boiler cover as the boiler is now over 10 years old. Now I know we are...
10
10

Dyson DC24 pcb.
My mother's Dyson DC24 brushbar motor has died and clearly all is not well with the pcb that supplies it. Does this look repairable and if so, who would be able to do it in Glasgow? I only really want...
5
5

Matching wood stain on furniture? Pecan?
Is there an experienced furniture restorer who would like to offer some advice? Not too far from the top of my job list is the renovation of some cane-backed dining chairs. The finish has worn off...
3
3

super capacitor jump starters
Does anyone know if these things just run at 12V? The reason I ask is that to turn an engine over for 10 seconds would require 256 Farads of capacitance, whereas if they pumped the voltage up to 120V...
27
27

Motion detector for use with Texas calc - any Win7/XP alternatives?
This motion detector could be useful for many experiments. Anyone know of something more "accessible" that can usb connect to Windows? (ie does not need TI-Nspire and Texas calc items)? thx

Mixer for two tap basin
You know the old style of basin - a single tap in each corner, about 40 cms apart. I am fed up with a choice of freezing or boiling water, and I want a mixer tap. What are my choices? 1. Fit a new...
10
10

Proper tool for the job Pt 16
5 extra sacks for the bin men. http://bit.ly/2i575xh
10
10

Not parch marks. Dew marks ?
Popped out back one evening a few days ago. It had been a damp day, leading into a dampo evening - although not cold. As the security light came on, clear as day, there was a faint shadow in the lawn....