Subject Author Posted Replies

OT d-i-y anti blood clot
The scariest thing to my mind is having a stroke. A friend of ours fit as a fiddle has one out of the blue, now he can't walk properly and can't talk properly. So if you are unlucky and are waiting...
44
44

Another (old) boiler Q
I have been reading some old posts on various forums and the general line seems to be that with room sealed (balanced flue) non-fanned boilers you only do a case-seal visual inspection, not a spillage...
1
1

Resetting ADE Accenta plus alarm
Hi We have inherited this alarm system and were left an alarm code although I am not familiar with the operation. Today, during the gales, we had a power surge and the alarm went off. Despite entering...
5
5

Scottish Power Tariffs
Old Scottish Power fixed E7 tarrif expired at the end of December. Hunted about but their "Online Fixed Saver Narch 2018" was the best I could find but was a fiver or so a month more. Wanted the new...
9
9

OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life
Listening to Radio 4 this morning they did an item on (I think) Norway and their switch to Digital radio - it appears that by the end of 2017 FM radio switch off in that country will be complete....
66
66

Video: three wankers damaging an electric fence.
Did you do the wiring hanging down in front of the windscreen yourself? You made a good job of things - as usual. Was your wife driving : or have the DVLA OK'd you to drive?
7
7

BT mail.
Since I've got BT fibre broadband which I'm very happy with, I've also got BT mail. I don't much use my BT mail address as I have my own domain POPbox which I pay for separately - but rely on the BT...
4
4

Lack of tile colour choice
We have been looking for ceramic tiles for a new bathroom. The choice appears to be between beige, beige, beige, grey and white. I have noticed the same choices in the US also. Why have the stockists...
12
12

Yet more Smart Meters
I read here some weeks ago that the installation of a Smart Meter was not mandatory, but I have just received a notice about the impending installation of a water meter in Essex. It includes this...
22
22

Smart meters (again)
Does anyone know if any of the energy suppliers are installing SMETS 2 meters yet?
24
24

Smoke detector types
Girlfriend bought a holiday apartment in Wales, originally built in early 1970s I would guess. The previous keeper has removed the smoke detector in the hall, leaving behind what is labelled as an "EI...
7
7

Using CD's in a car USB input socket
Hi all, My son has a newish car that only has a USB input socket to play music instead of a CD Player. Are there portable CD Players that could be plugged into the USB socket, to save me having to...
5
5

Simple plumbing fitting question
I have a Myson fan assisted radiator with 3/4" female brass connections to the heat exchanger. Would it be better to use 3/4" taper fittings with PTFE or Loctite stuff or 3/4" parallel ones with a...
13
13

That's slightly interesting
Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good and reasonably accurate. This one: And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains why: "I have to say...
4
4

Power Tools for the Home
(>> However, this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be > able I've cross-posted this to the newsgroup uk.d-i-y, where you may get better advice. OTOH you might get something to...
13
13