Subject Author Posted Replies

Converting 3-phase to single phase with resilience
I suspect this isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask just in case... I've got a large office with a 3-phase electrical supply. But I don't have any 3-phase equipment; I split the 3 phases to 3 x...
24
24

OT:Astonomy question (8 yr old standard)
Going out of the back door just now (17.12) the sky was clear except for a single solitary star in a SW ish direction. Is this normal and what is the star ? Thank you
23
23

Tiles chipping when cut
Attempting to tile my bathroom. Got a bunch of ceramic wall/floor tiles, 250 x 500 x 7.8mm Bought an el-cheapo wet cutter from Screwfix to make things easy, but when cutting it leaves a chipped edge...
22
22

CH Controller/Timer
I have a requirement for a central heating (Worcester gas) controller (single channel as there isn't any hot water) that allows different time settings for every day. The only ones I can find seem to...
26
26

LED lamps, source and value
I'd like to replace all the lamps/bulb in house with LED ones (mains bayonett fittings). I bought a couple the other day from Tesco £7 each - and I like the colour - and the power saving :-) Is that...
74
74

Electroboom goes too far
Normally I'm a big fan of his videos but this time the suggestions he makes really ARE dangerous rather than just looking dangerous. See what you think. Tim Have you ever been in a power outage, and...
6
6

Build your own computer , Yes it's DIY time
Record: 10-meter wide 16-bit megacomputer from discrete parts 256 bytes of memory (27,000 transistors) 15,300 transistors in CPU of which 8,500 as LED drivers. 20 kHz clock speed absolute max., 8 kHz...
20
20

Cooker circuit question
The kitchen in my newly-(almost) completed extension has a (professionally installed) 45A radial cooker circuit which currently terminates in a junction box. I don't intend to install a cooker but I...
33
33

OT (slightly): grade 2 listed buildings - practical experiences?
Having been in the same house for just over 30 years we're considering a move to a more "interesting" house, but many of them are grade II listed and some thatched. It would be great to hear from...
32
32

Rats - help
I think I have a problem with rats. They are not in the house ( bungalow). In the past month I have found two dead ones on my drive. I am sure they a re coming from next door who keep chickens. the...
17
17

PCB mount 1/4" spade connectors.
On an amplifier PCB I've seen 6.3mm (1/4") male spade connectors. They have two 'spikes' which go through the PCB to the solder side. I've looked at CPC and RS but can't find them. Also Vehicle Wiring...
3
3

4-pole 3.5mm jack
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when it's not required. So: when you plug in an ordinary...
9
9

dioptre
I have lots of cheap eye glasses which it would be good to sort out and need a more certain way to test the dioptre, than trying them on. I wear various dioptres for different purposes, reading, TV,...
32
32

Washing machine intermittent high pitch squeak
I've got a Miele washing machine - had it for years, probably done over 10, 000 hours washing. It was starting to get noisy and had the odd squeak so last weekend I compl etely pulled it to bits and...
9
9

Recurring Boiler Issue
Hi all My colleague has an Ideal Icos HE 12 boiler that seems to have a recurring problem with condensate discharge. Approx 1 year after a replacement sump, he has again found a significant blockage...
13
13