Subject Author Posted Replies

Speedfit plumbing
For a short plumbing run in my new kitchen I decided to try Speedfit which I'd not used before. The couplers and elbows seem very secure, with the tightened nut squeezing the connection, but I'm less...
7
7

Seized radiator bleed valves
They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I...
13
13

OT Epic ship launch disasters.
10
10

Stripper
A great big Yay! Unbelievably good! Had mine for about 4 years, still going strong.
24
24

Conservatory - Utility
Hello I am having a mean to conservatory built with a dwarf wall. I would like worktop installed on top of 4 x Base units. The sides of the conservatory will have panels and not glass due to...
3
3

OT: You couldnt make it up
"Di Hammill, who runs the Wild Harvest School of Self-Reliance, in East Cottingwith, near York, wrote a blog about a mission to help women and child refugees in northern France this month. She has...
12
12

[OT] reversible USB cables.
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work. You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work. I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.
34
34

Cutting laminated MDF (or possibly chipboard)
I'm installing a kitchen from a trade supplier: the cabinets were provided ready assembled but the decorative end panels have to be cut to size. I can use two of the existing finished edges for the...
17
17

Amusing instructions
From a dusk-to-dawn light sensor; "Do not attempt to install during wet weather, if you are suffering from nausea or dizzy spells or if you are taking any medication with similar side effects."
42
42

Light bulbs (again)
Salesperson in the lighting shop yesterday told me that 2D fluorescents are to be phased out. This seems unlikely to me, and this page confirms what I thought (that they aren't); Which stick has she...
31
31

Inductive charging, how efficient?
I have noticed an increase this kind of device recently. I seem to remember from when I played with this that its main issue was loss. IE there is no way to closely couple the windings enough to...
10
10

Outlets in bathrooms
What is the obsession with power outlets in bathrooms in the UK,in Australia almost every bathroom built in the last 20 years and many before have a power point in the bathroom and I doubt our...
11
11

OT: making files available when offline across desktop and mobile devices
I want to be able to share folders of files across different devices so that they sync when connected to a network but have the files available when offline and of, course, I'd rather not have to pay....
12
12

Parking Charge
Barnet Council (and others) use the following automated telephone system to enter the full car number plate for car parks and also on-street parking. it: "press 1 if you have a blackberry phone, or 2...
83
83

Plug socket in Conservatory
I am having a lean to conservatory built with a dwarf wall 3.4m wide x 3m. The base and ground work has been done but awaiting the frame of the lean to, to be built. My question is, where to site the...
3
3