Subject Author Posted Replies

advice sought - what cutting bit material for cutting thin stainless steel sheet?
Hello "tungsten carbide or diamond grit coated or carborundum?" I need to cut a couple of circular holes (150mm dia) in some 0.5mm thick "304" grade stainless steel sheet which has been formed into a...
27
27

Lidl DIY offers
Lidl have their Multitool on offer this Sunday for £30. I can recommen d it having bought one three years ago and given it dogs abuse over that pe riod, if it packed up today it would not owe me...

Personal information in official email - best practice
I've just received an invitiation from my local council to switch to paperless billing. The email contains: My Title + Surname My Postcode and House Number My Account/Council Tax Reference Number My...
65
65

Gluing floorboards
My underfloor heating suppliers recommend using Casco mounting glue 3303 to fix flooring to joists. I assumed this would be readily available through suppliers on the web but not so. There may be some...
13
13

TRV question
TRVs seem to be available with pipework or just as the head. Does this mean that the heads are interchangeable between brands? I've got a couple of rads where closing the TRV completely does not...
4
4

Myson boiler short-cycling / nest thermostat Y-plan system
Evening all, Pointers appreciated. Myson Apollo 50B boiler, serviced annually. Set to 'hi' which I think outpu ts water at 80 degrees. Nest 3rd Generation system. Gravity fed. Header tank, yellow...
32
32

Found the leak at last!
The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to...
3
3

SELV extractor fan switching
Have a need to place an extractor fan within reach of a shower so obviously have to fit a 12V one. No problem there, but I would like it to be humidistat switched, looking around I could only find a...
5
5

waterproof Junction Box
Just replaced my Halogen Floodlight with a LED one from Screwfix. I opted for one without a lead. However the cables to the Halogen one were two "single and Earth" cables that came through the wall...
5
5

Suitable cable for rear view/reversing camera for caravan
We are about to become owners of an 8 metre long caravan. It would be good to have decent rear view for normal driving, overtaking on dual carriageways, and of course reversing. From the rear of the...
13
13

wiring a tmer fan
Is it possible to wire a timer extractor fan via the lighting circuit ? (i.e.) Can I tap into the feed to one of the lights ?
5
5

Garden paving edging
We are having a fair amount of garden path paving laid to replace old and cracked paving which was laid straight onto the soil! It will be done with 600 mm x 600 mm slabs (concrete) laid as a double...
21
21

Anyone found a LED warm white 150W BC equiv?
Morrisons have a 15W 1500lm 2700K lamp, but it's ES (E27). If the fitting would allow, E27 to B22 adaptors are easy to get, but add an inch or so to the length - how would SWMBO feel about that?
3
3

GLOBALSTAR
HOTEL PHONE 9 - NO OUTSIDE LINE RECEPTION CANNOT GET ME AN OUTSIDE LINE EITHER WIFE'S CHAVPHONE HAS NO CREDIT MY GLOBALSTAR GSP-1600 IN CAR PARK GETS THROUGH
9
9

Dual fuel towel rail
Any experience? Screwfix offer a raft of towel rails, some of which claim dual fuel function. With wet underfloor heating there is a plan to use electric towel rails (timer controlled). Tempting to...
7
7