Subject Author Posted Replies

USB Controlled Power switch
Firstly, so nice to be able to post on here again after the loss of the Demon newsgroup server robbed me of easy access via ThunderBird. I am looking for a USB/PC controlled power switch to enable 1...
10
10

Best way to strip long lengths of mains cable?
I have a fair quantity of mains cable, and would like to remove all the insulation without damaging the cable itself, so fire is not an option. The cable is ordinary grey sheathed T&E. Removing the...
32
32

How to insert blade in a Makita 4329 jigsaw?
I bought a new Makita jigsaw recently, but only now got around to using it. It's an orbital jigsaw. The "scotch yoke" plunger-with-roller (the bit that moves up and down) is sprung loaded. This is...
12
12

Secondary glazng film
Just realised the sheet of secondary glazing film on the window over the front door is now 31 years old. It's the sort you stretch and stick to the frame with double sided tape, and then use a hair...
2
2

Thick a two short rebars.
How thick should concrete be at the bottom of a four hundred and sixty foot waterfall? Why the recent troubled history of the River Valve Outlet System matters... Music: "Trouble" Trampled by Turtles...
14
14

OT: MP2 to MP3 converter: recommendations?
Any recommendations for MP2 to MP3 (& vice versa) converters? There is the usual clutch of 'free' software and even now a few 'free' website offering conversion (what are the gotchas?) Preferably...
6
6

1.5mm cable, 90 Amps and various connectors
A selection of wire connectors are overloaded - which will fail first? Connectors and wire sent in by TheChipmunk2008 1.5mm² PVC insulated solid core wire, connectors are a screw terminal 'chocbloc'...
20
20

GSM based building alarm?
I was just wondering if anyone here had any personal experience of / with any of the various GSM / Autodialer type alarms, the likes of eBay is cluttered with these days please? The usage would be...
12
12

Bollocks
25 to 28 seconds for starters This guide shows you How To Wire An Outlet Yourself Watch This and Other Related films here: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-wire-an-outlet Subscribe!...
40
40

Hairdryer fuse
I've found a hairdryer I promised to fix a while ago. It has no fuse in the plug and no fuse rating indicated on the plug body. I cleaned out the dryer body and popped a 13 amp fuse in the plug and it...
4
4

Network oddities...
Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I am baffled... Modem, router, wifi AP in loft[#1], which also connects to broadband. Wired LAN down to a second modem, router, wifi AP on ground floor[#2]....
34
34

Pressac boxes
I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual 3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The...
7
7

Humidity measurement
I have several thermometer cum weather prediction (barometer) cum humidistats dotted around the place. I did fancy something more accurate as the readings all seem suspiciously low (but then they are...
17
17

Another fridge failure
Larder Fridge Beko LS620, purchased 2012 2013 Temperature totally erratic - thermostat changed under warranty - now OK 2015 Would not cool - I tested and changed thermostat - now OK Last week Would...
10
10

Protecting CCTV camera Cat5 plug and socket outdoors
I need to connect PoE CCTV cameras (HikVision DS-2CD2042WD-I) to Cat5 cabling outdoors. The cabling that came with the cameras has plugs already installed at each end and the camera instructions say...
17
17