Subject Author Posted Replies

tree roots coming out of shower
I have had roots coming out of the downstairs shower. After removing the drain grate, the roots are not inside the drain pipe, but outside in the crevice between the PVC and concrete. I stopped using...
8
8

How much current flows through pylons?
Despite extensive googling, there seems to be nothing that tells me how much current flows along wires on a national grid pylon. They only list voltages. Anybody know?
84
84

Blinky
Blink Blink 15 ;-)
19
19

Not so smart phone user
There is something about this story that does not quite add up... It implies he only had the ELV end of the supply and the phone in the bath with him. But talk of burns etc suggests it was more likely...
6
6

DIY surveying , as in land levels?
Looking for a basic method of mapping out heights over an area just over 2 acres. Ex railway goods yard that has been , er , left to nature for a few years, as it was originally cut into side of a...
11
11

Darwin Award
Could this be the latest candidate? Richard Bull is believed to have plugged charger into an extension cord and rested it on his chest.
89
89

Connecting many low-power mains devices (wall warts etc) to single mains socket
I have a room that I use as a study. It has only one single mains socket (the other is on the opposite side of the room and would require a long trailing cable to reach the desk area). I currently...
22
22

GU10 LED
Aldi this week 10 pack for ?8.99. 360 Lumens 5 watts.
5
5

[OT] Cat charity shop sells electrician's £200 tool s for £1
A Cardiff charity shop mistakenly sold an electrician's £200 tools for just £1 after he left them unattended. A charity shop mistakenly sells an electrician's £200 tools for £1 while he fixed a...
4
4

Smart metering a shambles
No surprise there, then. Energy companies are worried.
18
18

replace wc pan
The wiki faq doesn't seem to have any guidance: I have cracked the pan of a low level wc in a cloakroom and need to replace it. It is old with a bottom exit to the sewer which is only 150mm centre...
15
15

Screwfix filtering/censoring reviews
On two occasions I have tried to add a review to an item I purchased and I have yet to see my review. There has been no communication with explanation either. My review wasn't overly negative although...
11
11

Rug rucking up
Fitted carpet, on top of which she has a large woven rug. The long sides of the rug ruck up. It was flat when the room was left unoccupied last night, this morning it has rucked itself up again. Its...
21
21

Polarised rj45?
I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors around a new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45 connectors which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard...
12
12

Any rules about providing a staircase to loft storage space?
I'm thinking of replacing a pull-down loft ladder with a proper staircase and door. The loft would still only be used for storage, but someone thought the presence of a staircase invoked a pile of...
15
15