Subject Author Posted Replies

[OT] Economics of cheaper slower postage from suppliers
I guess I'm a bit of a stingy old git, because I will always pick the free postage option unless I really need the product in a hurry. But what amazes me is just how slow some of the free postage...
15
15

Tiny brass crimps?
Need a source for a few tiny brass crimps for repairs to a kettle. The originals are about 4.5mm long and crushed down to about 2mm x 1mm. Used for connections from the element terminals to a resistor...
9
9

Switching gas supplier
I have a flat, which is used as occasion arises, ie not regularly, but when we or friends or family need it. The heating is switched on all the time, at a sensible maintenance temperature. The gas...
19
19

Strong magnets and handling of same
Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway. They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package...
16
16

Cuprinol or some other timber preserver
A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these $ Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was...
16
16

OT Ants
I dug over the flower beds last week. The next day I found a few ants on the bathroom window ledge. We live in a bungalow, the kitchen is on the same wall as the bathroom. Killed the bathroom ants,...
24
24

5V PSU for TENS Foot Plate
My FIL managed to spill water on his TENS machine Foot tinger thingy and to ok out it's 5V wall wart. I was asked if I could sort something out (Which I did by joining s 5V Wall wart of the right...
3
3

tea
milk, two sugars please. Ta... Has their been a sudden breakout here of the single word subject syndrome? :)

age
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs. It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given out, there...
83
83

diy
for all you thatchees out there, but not all at once,you may crash the server. http://www.playamiguel.es/webcam/index.htm
1
1

Rumours
Will smart meters alert the user of the date and time the meter is read by the energy company? I have heard conflicting reports on this one. also offgen say that if you are registered as blind with an...
16
16

Modernising room heatng controls - what's available?
The other "boiler replacement" thread has produced some useful ideas (thanks to all!) so I've started this new thread just for room heating controls. I plan to divide the new house into multiple...
28
28

Chainsaw
Hi all I have a pile of logs/ slices of tree trunk in the garden which i have no u se for other than to chop up and use for outdoor heating. This is going to be a one off event so thought i would hire...
33
33

Vinyl Interlocking floor times and planks
I have a T & G Bathroom floor and don't want to put ceramic tiles down as it would need to be overboarded and then tiled - this would lead to an annoying little step. Saw some thin interlocking (like...
3
3

Weird network issue resolved!
#1 router was a newish DSL 3780 as provided by Talktalk and the one acting as modem to connect to broadband, plus providing one access point at the top of the house. #2 used a wired LAN to connect to...
5
5