Subject Author Posted Replies

Metric thread - pitch
All through the Screwfix and Toolsatan website there are many examples of metric bolts and nuts but they never seem to specify the pitch. Wikipedia article: suggests there are course and fine threads....
15
15

He got his tools back
I wonder what he did with the free set of tools he was given as a replacement? An electrician who had his £200 tools sold for £1 in a Cardiff cat charity shop has them returned.
4
4

Wickes Dakota kitchen
Anyone even considering buying a Wickes Dakota kitchen (after my scathing reviews of the door finish quality ...) The plinths do not match the units and doors. They come in a different white textured...

Looking for a pressure switch or 12 volt pump with a pressure switch
I'm looking for a replacement for the water feed pump on our little boat. The 'standard' marine ones from Jabsco are a ridiculous price as are the spares for the worn out one that I have so I'm...
9
9

Lawn aeration
Gardening magazines seem to like the idea of lawn aeration. My small domestic lawn has never had such treatment in the 30 years I have lived here, and I am wondering if it is worth doing. Has anybody...
9
9

Skimming Brake drums
I need to get a set of brake drums (8" not huge ones) There is a lip inside each and need to get rid of this before I install new shoes, and reassemble Anybody know of anywhere in S.Wales that does...
32
32

[Power] Germans convert decommissioned coal mine into pumped-storage generator
"In the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, a coal mine will close in 2018. Aging coal infrastructure, low wholesale power prices, and a move away from the highly polluting power source all make...
10
10

Can you get any closer to the steering wheel?
FFS. And yes I am back in the white van that had the passenger side wing mirror fall off when I pressed a button by accident. The apprentice has fixed it....
12
12

Boiler filling loop connectors.
My boiler, which I think is not untypical, has a filling loop with 1/2" loosely retained nuts at the end, superficially like a tap connector. But instead of a flat for a washer at the interface to the...
2
2

flytipping
Getting out of hand round here Bill Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
26
26

OT: Idiot using mobile 'phone
Driving along a busy street today, I see a pedestrian walking along the pavement on the other side of the road, with his mobile clamped to his ear. He gets to a pedestrian crossing, stops, and turns...
30
30

BBC TV: The Repair Shop
Starting Monday, 6.30pm, BBC2 "The Repair Shop" An antidote to throwaway culture, The Repair Shop shines a light on the wonderful treasures to be found in homes across the country. Owain
28
28

Fitting skirting
New oak flooring fitted, old skirtings removed first so that 12mm expansion gap is covered by new 20mm oak skirting, rather than quarter beading. Internal corners nicely scribed, only one external...
12
12

Dinky Toys string
I have a Dinky Toys Coles 972 crane from my youth which I want to pass on in a completely working state. The only thing missing is the string. Can anyone point me to a source of something close to the...
22
22

Threading a cable in ceiling void from below
It looks as though I'm going to have to thread a thin, so very flexible, cable into the ceiling void from below and then out again a couple of metres further across. I've used a straightened coat...
36
36