Subject Author Posted Replies

How to monitor house alarm
Hi all I have a Honeywell alarm system and it has a mode where by it will send you a text message when it goes off etc. The setting requires a phone number f or seemingly a messaging centre. Does...
10
10

BT Humax HD PVR.
Anyone else have one of these - part of a good value BT TV package some time ago? Mine has just done a total software update without asking. Completely different menu, etc. Instead of just the prog...
7
7

Buying a parking barrier
I need to buy a padlockable parking barrier. I found this one. Can someone take a look on that and tell me if that would be good choice? :)...
2
2

Parking barrier - advice
I need to buy a padlockable parking barrier. I found this one. Can someone take a look on that and tell me if that would be good choice? :)...
4
4

Ouside Tap problem
I have two ordinary outside taps - fitted by a plumber as part of a kitchen makeover last year - one cold, one hot. The cold one I have is turned on all of the time - connected to an irrigation system...
16
16

OT? Energy tariff madness
As I long-time EDF customer, I reckoned it's time I had a look at other suppliers. I'd read somewhere that uSwitch and similar sites weren't quite as independent as they seemed (is that right or...
23
23

PIR positioning
I installed an alarm at work, only got around to doing downstairs. I placed the PIRs such that they weren't opposite windows, one though can catch glints of light depending on which way the vertical...
4
4

U value calculations
Yes. I do know it has been covered before. Building Control seemed a bit doubtful about the options for attic, dormer walls, and sloping soffit suggested by the drawings submitted by my architect and...
32
32

House painting quote.
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted. One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent job....
38
38

Fixing an electric hedgetrimmer: any advice? (or hope?!)
My Bosch hedgetrimmer (AHS 55-26) died suddenly the other day. I've had it, and heavily used it, for just over two years. There was no major "trauma" (such as dropping it): I just laid it down in the...
20
20

Pet-proof PIRs - any good?
I'm moving to a house that's got several PIRs, but I've also got two cats and will soon have a dog. Some of the so-called "pet-proof" PIRs filter out low sources (but cats jump onto things) and others...
14
14

Karcher - please help
Please will someone with a Vario Lance advise me. Mine no longer focuses to a useful sharp jet. I have stripped it down and can't see a problem. Maybe the hole has eroded - or maybe I have lost a...
2
2

Shredding.
Just seen an ad on Facebook which goes something like this:- Is your document shredder painfully slow? If so, we will collect your documents and shred them for 25 quid. That would seem a bit flawed to...
24
24

Which Boiler 2
Somewhat inspired by the Which Boiler thread but more what can we get thread. My friend has a Powermax thermal store "one box" solution which is Gas burner, vented thermal store tank and domestic...
16
16

Where to buy gears
If you guys wanted to buy some simple but reasonably substantial gears where would you go? I am needing two gears about half an inch thick, and preferably made of metal, to drive the soil sifter I...
34
34