Subject Author Posted Replies

Light bulb which changes colour according to the time
My elderly mum can't tell the time and bright mornings cause her to get up hours before her carers arrive. Are there any colour changing light bulbs which can be programmed (perhaps by a tablet) to...
36
36

A thought as I Hoovered
Why do we scrub the heavy thing back and forth when it has fast revolving brushes? Surely a single slow pass is just as effective.
12
12

Amazon Fire TV stick
I've just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. It arrived next day, The box contained all I needed to make it work. I plugged it in and it just worked!!! No faffing around, no long winded instructions or...
16
16

Strange Meile dishwasher problem
the crockery cleans and dries OK, but the cutlery not only remains wet but is stained. I have carefully cleaned the filters, no change. any suggestions please as to where the problem may be?
18
18

Crack in plaster under window behind radiator.
Under many of my windows, behind the radiator, the plaster has a hair line crack. This is a standard wall with proper plaster, not plaster board. I recently redecorated a room, raked out the crack...
21
21

Another bathroom bonding question
I'm making some changes in the bathroom - one is switching over copper to plastic pipe. What do I do about the trailing earth bonding arrangements that are left? Just tuck them under the floorboards?...
39
39

BT phone/internet installation to replace cable?
It's a normal terraced house that came with cable TV & phone. There's no physical BT connection. The main cable comes into the cellar, where it splits to the phone master socket & cable TV connection...
40
40

Domestic hot water supply problem
This is a message I posted in November 2013 : Just had a new hot water tank fitted (not brave enough to DIY) and it is fine. Hot water is hot etc., but hot water now takes much longer to reach the...
12
12

Which satellite receiver?
I have a fairly old Vision brand (CPC) HD satellite receiver. Not FreeSat or Sky or any such thing. Just a universal one for FTA stuff. It also controls my motorised dish, so I can get some dozen or...
23
23

Once bitten.
Ordered some bits online and collected them from TLC. Guy brought them to the counter in a couple of carrier bags. Only when getting home did I notice only three out of four of the same item were...
3
3

Granite for paving a patio area
We've been looking at various options for a new patio area, limestone, sandstone, slate and now granite. Yes, it's expensive but it does look nice. However, SWMBO is worried about whether it will...
2
2

[Power] WIPP begins receiving shipments of nuclear waste again following 2014 accident
"The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) in Carlsbad, New Mexico, began accepting shipments of transuranic waste this month for the first time since February 2014 when an explosion of a drum of...
16
16

Neat CCTV camera installation
A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the...
13
13

How do light switch security timers work?
A friend asked me to have a look at a Superswitch 2304 timer which stopped working when the bulb which it was switching blew, and replacing the bulb didn't fix it. The answer, of course, was that when...
9
9

lidl bio washing powder.liquid and moss/weeds
Yes a small shot of bleach in it is also advantageous. My gardener swears by it, no not at it. Anyone know what the ingredient is is the main active element, I only ask as back in days of yore, brown...
5
5